No announcement yet.

1976/77 Yamaha xs1100???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haha thanks man, ive been working on her everyday since i got her.. its missing and im not too sure why.. i changed the plugs im thinking it might be an ignition wire she starts right up everytime (whens she decides to get electricity to the ignition.. thats another thing im looking at) but i can wait to get he on the road!!!!
    XS11 Standard

Comment

So you know it's missing spark? What's the history on the bike? Did it sit for a while? If it did, you may need to clean, inspect, and sync the carbs. Did you pull the plugs and test for spark?
      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

no im doing that tomorrow morning.. i worked on the front breaks and replaced hoses going to a radiator on the bike called a KERKER.. the bike sat for four years outside so yah it sat for awhile which is why im so surprised with the way she starts right up..
        XS11 Standard

Comment

I assume u r speaking of the aftermarket oil cooler on the front of your engine? Those were made for the Kaw Z1's and some Suzuki model, forget which.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

yah thats what im talking about.. how well does the motor run without the oil cooler?
            XS11 Standard

Comment

It can't hurt to have it but I doubt if it makes a huge difference. Even if you have one with an electric fan, I don't think the oil alone would be enough to keep an engine cool if you were sitting in traffic. It would help a little though. You could get the same results with a small 12V fan mounted in front of the engine. That's not a bad idea actually since I live in a desert.
              "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

Well that's good to know since I'm new to the bike and I'm already drowning in questions haha nut I'm sure I'll find a lot of help on this forum
                XS11 Standard

Comment

The kerker oil cooler is an after market add on. Especially for the 78 model. The only XS11 that I believe came from the factory with one was the 81 Standard or Venturer model.

Unless you sit on very hot weather in traffic, it is overkill. Your bike will run fine without it.

Looks like you need a seat and a headlight for sure. Some side covers, and a good bit of wiring work. Looks like perhaps the PO (Previous Owner) eliminated the old fuse box, but perhaps by eliminating the fuses all together!!!

Looks like aftermarket, possibly MAC exhaust.

Did you strip or repaint the tail housing and eliminate the rear fender?
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

yah i took the rear fender off it had a lot of scratches and a few dents, it really does need a good bit of wiring work done to it im going to hop on that next as soon as i find out whats causing the misfire.. the seat on the bike was ugly as sin asnd wasnt going to last much longer.. i painted the rear housing black bc the tank was painted black it looked funky with the maroon tail and a black tank. im going to get it professionally painted when i get all the mechanical kinks worked out..the previous owner was a hick in the mountains of Georgia (a really nice guy) and had no idea what he was taking about.. he wanted 700 for the bime but i got it for 500.. he is the reason i thought it was a 76 bc he had it registered in GA as a 76 and he told me the tank was original paint haha
                    XS11 Standard

Comment

How do you get something registered as a different year than what it is? The Georgia DMV needs restaffed I think.

Comment

where can i get a set of side covers from?
                        XS11 Standard

Comment

I have no idea but i have all the paper work to prove that he had it registered like that haha
                          XS11 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by arab-bikerboy View Post
                            where can i get a set of side covers from?
                            You can check the 'parts for sale forum, post in the 'parts wanted' forum, or start seaching eBay. Sidecovers can be very hard to find sometimes....

You need '78-79 standard covers; no others will fit right.
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

on a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is it to find parts for xs11's?
                              XS11 Standard

Comment

All depends what parts you want. 90% of the parts are easy to find, ebay, members here including Andreas Weiss. Some though can be rare as hens teeth, like a left hand side cover that is intact.
                                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                                93 GSX600F
                                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                                81 XS1100 Special
                                81 CB750 C
                                80 CB750 C
                                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                                X