X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and seal it...
    Chris
    twitter.com/thechrisdemon -- instagram.com/chrisdemon

2012 HD FXDC -- bone stock... for now...

1980 XS1100 Special --
    under restoration for brother

2010 HD XL1200 -- good riddance...

1981 KZ650 CSR -- Found a good/new Home

1980 CX500 -- livin' it up in FL

Comment

I ended up having my exhaust stripped while having the rest of the chrome re-plated. The chrome stripping was "free" since I was already spending $500 for the rest of the chrome job. The place did a terrible job on the plating, and judging from how well they did on the stripping, I can see why...
      Guy

1980 XS1100G - Frankenstein - resurrected from the impound lot
      1991 Suzuki GS500E (not running yet)
      2003 Burgman AN400 - Blue Belle
      2005 Burgman AN400 - Silver Belle

Comment

Well that sucks. I'd make em do it again, but who knows what kind of damage their rework would cause.
        "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Has anyone ever used a machine shop to hot dip their engine parts before? If so, is it a special process for aluminum and what is it called?
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

re: muriatic acid

Hi:
            new here, new to owning an 80 G, but not new to motorcycles. I have been using muriatic acid for years to clean out old gastanks. Works well, for a controllable mix, you need to put 1-2 cups of acid in no less than 2.5-3.5 gallons of water. If you put the acid on metal plain, it will burn it and smoke. Also PUT THE ACID IN THE WATER, NEVER THE WATER IN THE ACID!!!! PUT THE ACID IN THE WATER NEVER THE WATER IN THE ACID!!!

there is a reaction between the 2 when you mix them. If you put water in acid, there is a good chance it will blow out of the container/tank/whatever, and of course, hit YOU. Lastly, and this is not brainwork, make sure you wear some sort of protective gloves, even when you are merely checking a part in a bath or whatever. Even watered down, that acid burns skin readily. (don't ask me how I know that, I just do)

Blessings,
            Preacher...yeah, a real one

owner: Grunt, 1981 HD Shovelhead chopper
            Lazarus, 1980 XS G model, soon to be returned to his former glory
            80 XS11 Tourer

Comment

painting over chrome

i've painted several chrome fenders and motors while restoring xs650's. i think the best way to get a good paint job on chrome fenders is to simply sand the chrome well with 600 grit, then 8oo grit. clean very well and then 2 coats of metal etching primer under several coats of gloss, followed by 2 coats of clear. mine looked great, very durable. i also painted the engine in one of my bikes, very lightly sanded the aluminum covers, cleaned them very well, primed with high temp metal etching primer, let dry for a couple of days and then painted gloss black with high temp spray. i baked the parts in an electric oven at 300 degrees for about an hour before reassembling the engine, and then carefully put the new engine through several heat cycles before really riding it. the engine came out beautiful, looked factory. it was also very durable. pics at photobucket.com/albums/yy148/xs650mark.

Comment

Working...
              X