fuel petcock o-rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel petcock o-rings

1980 xs1100 special, stock fuel tank with original petcocks. getting ready to have tank repainted and i want to have new o-rings for the petcocks. "obsolete" according to yamaha. will any other part number from yamaha work? any other source? thanks

i should have been more specific. i want the tank-to-tap o-ring.

Comment

Those seals come in petcock rebuild kits. If you have a good hardware or auto parts store, they can match it up for you.

Part number 2W6-24512-00-00 is available. Yamaha Parts House has them for $2.95 each.

Items 15-28
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Those seals come in petcock rebuild kits. If you have a good hardware or auto parts store, they can match it up for you.

Part number 2W6-24512-00-00 is available. Yamaha Parts House has them for $2.95 each.

Items 15-28
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

thanks for the help

Comment

A word of caution.
            The originals had two cross links that encased the holes for the bolts. A regular O ring does not provide that bit of sealing, so make sure that you use the gasketedbolts that were originally used to hold the taps in. A dab of gasket sealer on their mating faces before installation would not hurt.
            CZ

Comment

On one of my model E's I needed a "gasket" because my old one leaked. I used a regular o-ring for the perimeter and used fiber washers with flanged bolts to prevent leaks down the bolt threads. No leaks. Never replaced it with OEM style.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

IIRC, only the Standard petcocks use that 3 section O-ring, not the Specials. Both models do use those fiber bolt washers though.

Last edited by bikerphil; 12-08-2012, 02:13 PM.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

BikerPhil, you do remember correctly. Specials use a standard o'ring.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

O rings....

I found some on Ebay for 5 bucks total..........quick mailing as well. Like stated in here......be sure to seal the bolds with a gasget of some kind. I replaced the O ring on my Special and it still leaked.
                    At this time:
                    1985 Goldwing Innr.
                    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                    2007 vtx 1300
                    81 sx 1100 s h
                    81 sx 400 special

Comment

If you decide to make gaskets I recommend this stuff. It's white in color and has a very high resistance to gasoline. I always like to keep some around. If you can find it in 1/16" thickness then you can use it on fuel bowls and everything else. It will not harden dry or rot.
                      http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0dtth
                      http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/nitri...h-strength.htm
                      Last edited by Yard Dogg; 12-09-2012, 02:58 PM.
                      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

The stuff I bought was white in color.
                        "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
                        X