TCI repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hbonser View Post
    Ahhhhh... Motoman might just be the wisest guy on this forum at this moment... In terms of knowledge anyway... You are already a wise-guy in general!

I was trying to crank the bike with the switch pod hanging there, so I will give that a try tonight and put it on the bars.

With that said, your 81 had tubular bars as stock, just like all the previous years, yes?

Thanks Motoman!
    Don't be too sure.......could be 'jerkin your chain'.........78-79 needed no ground right-side controls, and yes, bars were the same as any other Standard.
    Last edited by motoman; 11-26-2012, 08:10 PM.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

You NAILED it, Motoman!

Connected the kill switch wires, held the housing in place on the bar, pushed in ye starter button, instant crank!

It would appear after further thought and looking at the wires, the kill switch and the starter button both rely on the bar for the ground.

...Or am I just so plum happy the bike cranks again that I am not thinking straight?
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by hbonser View Post
        You NAILED it, Motoman!

Connected the kill switch wires, held the housing in place on the bar, pushed in ye starter button, instant crank!

It would appear after further thought and looking at the wires, the kill switch and the starter button both rely on the bar for the ground.

...Or am I just so plum happy the bike cranks again that I am not thinking straight?
        You got half of it right.
        The kill switch just breaks the power to the TCI, so be careful with the bare ends of the red/wt wires.
        Got your o-rigs today, but am real busy with furnace calls, so it will be a day or two before I can get them in the mail.
        Save the bowl, I have an idea for a miracle.
        CZ

Comment

Let me know what you are thinking for the float bowl fix. Always have the miracle $12 floatbowls on e-bay for a fall back.

For the kill switch wires, I taped them together with electrical tape so I could hold the housing in one hand, and push the starter button with the other.

Kinda like s*itting in one hand and wishing in the other, only more productive.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
          X