Dripping oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dripping oil

Yami is dripping oil from the rubber boot area at the rear of the gear box, or front of the drive shaft.
    I am thinking it is the seal on the back of the gearbox. And I assume the engine will need to come out to replace that seal. Or, if it is engine and gear box oil, I can just keep adding oil until next spring and fix it then when I switch bikes.
    Anyone been there done that?
    Yami now stops with new pieces and fluid, in the front brakes. Very exciting.
    Unkle Crusty

The middle drive unit can be removed with the engine still in the bike and the seal changed with the unit on the bench. That seal is a unique one and you will have to get one from Yamaha, P/N 93101-35085-00. About $9
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

That could mean a leak in either the middle drive or final drive; check the fluid level in both. And these don't leak very often, so once you know which is leaking check the bearing play on the offending part.

The middle drive can be pulled without disturbing the motor. If you find bad bearing(s) in either it or the FD, it's cheaper to replace than rebuild....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I think the middle drive is the most likely culprit myself as the final drive would have to leak a lot and basically uphill as when the final drive fluid went down the level would not be high enough to get to the boot. Of course there would be some splashing around but I doubt it would make it to that point as the tube the driveshaft is in would hold a lot of oil. Just ask anyone who ever tried to grease that final drive Zerk.
        Which do you have to add oil to? A simple check of the fluid levels should tell you where to look if the leak is apparent at the boot. JAT
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I think it's almost sure that it's the middle gearbox seal. As has been said, thick oil doesn't go uphill easily. A quick check on the middle gearbox oil level will show what's what...
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Oil leak

Thank you for the replies.
            I assume then that the rubber boot can be removed with everything intact.
            I have yet to study it closely. Will check oil levels tomorrow.
            Unkle Crusty

Comment

Working...
            X