Idle screw blocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle screw blocked

Working on carbs for a friend. Two of the idle screws seem to be blocked by some sort of brass fitting. Ever see this before? Any alternatives to drilling it out?

Thanks,

Aches n Pains
    1995 KZ100P
    Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
    Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

If it was me, I would probably start by taking an old small screwdriver and grinding it's tip to a nice sharp chisel point. Then I'd tap that chisel trying to cut thru and collapse the side of the brass collar. Should be able to be done without damaging the aluminum tower.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 11-15-2012, 07:02 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

That is the brass plug that is on all the late model carbs from the factory. Drill a hole through it and screw in a wood screw and yank it out.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The housings that contain the brass plugs are easy to break when you try and pull out the plugs.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

DON'T DRILL IT!
          Looks to me that the top is already off of the plug as you can see the pilot screw slot.
          Richard

Comment

The original caps were just a sheet metal insert. Not necessary to have them once things are clean and back together.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The original caps were just a sheet metal insert. Not necessary to have them once things are clean and back together. definitely would NOT attempt to drill for sheet metal screw. Base of those are too close to top of idle mix screws!
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
                DON'T DRILL IT!
                Looks to me that the top is already off of the plug as you can see the pilot screw slot.
                +1! Dremal with a teeny plunge router bit will split whats left without damaging the tower or top of screw. Could run that idle mix screw in to lightly seated so it would be somewhat out of harms way.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Suspect you saved me time and money again.

Doug
                  1995 KZ100P
                  Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                  Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
                    DON'T DRILL IT!
                    Hi Richard,
                    but he gotta drill it. Or remove it some way or another. That remnant of the stupidity plug is stopping the needle from coming out and you gotta take the needle assembly out to clean the carb body passages.
                    BTW, the rubber slow running jet passage plugs that come in the salvage kit but those carbs don't need coincidentally fit in the needle jet holes to keep the crud out between adjustments.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I would try to find a tap that would start into the hole, and start screwing it in. Once it had a bite, pull the tap out while turning it, and the sleeve should come right out. A plug tap, rather than a taper tap, would be the first choice. And you might have to grind the tip flat, so as not to interfere with the screw. As was suggested, run the screw all the way in (gently) to give yourself the most space. CZ

Comment

My plugs in the carbs were a solid brass plug nearly an 1/8 thick so I guess there are different types installed. Those appear to have been drilled before. There is a tool called an easy out to remove broken off bolts and screws. If you get a hardened round set I am sure you can bring that plug out. The advantage of an easy out is it is geared to twist the counter clockwise and will reverse anything screwed in. A tap as several have suggested will definately work also but if you get one too big it will thread into the carb and make a mess. Drilling will work but you stand the chance now of drilling into the head of adjustment screw and that will be a problem its just easy to go to far. Chissel cutting will work if its soft but mine were really hard and I am sure they would have slipped down before being cut. Use something like PB Blaster to clean all around it first. Personally I put some Tarnex tarnish cleaner in mine to let it soak a minute it cleans things nice and quick if you just give it a minute. Do not leave Tarnex for a long period it will eat up the alluminum.
                        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                        1980 G Silverbird
                        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                        1198 Overbore kit
                        Grizzly 660 ACCT
                        Barnett Clutch Springs
                        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                        122.5 Main Jets
                        ACCT Mod
                        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                        Antivibe Bar ends