Anti Theft Device Tech tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Theft Device Tech tip

This is simple cheap tech tip for installing an anti theft switch to help protect your lovely XS/XJ motorcycle from being stolen.

Many of you probably are a little paranoid at the thought of loosing your precious badazz 1/4 mile vintage japanese muscle bike, and if you are not, than you should be. Maybe I shouldn't mention for prying eyes to see that anyone can look at your lock and have a key made for it, then one day you come out of your home and see the empty spot where your bike used to sit. Well there is a remedy for it that many bikers have figured out.

Things you will need,
    1. A 2 pole toggle switch.
    2. Wire strippers.
    3. A few simple connectors.

As far as I know, every XS/XJ is equipped with an Emergency Stop Switch, otherwise known as a tilt switch. The Emergency Stop Switch is a little safety device designed to make sure the bike shuts off if leaned over 60 degrees, like say during a crash, or maybe when you get clumsy and drop it at a stop sign. The switch simply kills coil power via the Ignitor Unit.

If you look at your ignitor unit, there is a Black wire with a White stripe that goes to the Emergency Stop Switch. This is a 6V wire that when grounded kills the coil signals stopping spark.

All you have to do, is splice the B/W wire, then attach a new wire length from it, to the first pole on the toggle switch. If you want to keep the function of the Emergency Stop Switch (recommended), then make sure the B/W wire is still able to make a connection with the ESS. Then you attach another wire to the second pole of the Toggle Switch and attach it to a ground source on the frame or negative battery terminal.

To test it, flip the switch to on, making it ground the B/W circuit wire, and try to start it. You should have no spark at this point. Make sure you hide the switch in an inconspicuous area out of site that only you know about. The best place would be somewhere that can't be seen where you can only reach it with your finger.

This switch is safe for your bike and will not damage your circuit's, because the Emergency Stop Switch actually works by grounding the B/W wire.

This method may not stop a professional bike thief because they more than likely know this trick, but it will stop the ignorant common thief moron that wants to be cool and steel your bike. Even hot wiring the ignition wouldn't start your bike if the switch is on. It's just a little extra insurance.
    Last edited by Yard Dogg; 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM.
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't mention for prying eyes to see that anyone can look at your lock and have a key made for it,
    The key code isn't visible from the top of the lock. You have to completely remove the main switch to see the number. Even then, my key code number is so hard to see, I have to hold at just the right angle in perfect light to even imagine what the number might be.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      The key code isn't visible from the top of the lock. You have to completely remove the main switch to see the number. Even then, my key code number is so hard to see, I have to hold at just the right angle in perfect light to even imagine what the number might be.
      That might be true for your 81 MNS, some of the earlier models have the number stamped in plain sight where the key goes in.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

All of my locks have the number in plain sight, and it's an 82'. Actually, I forgot I'm using an earlier model XS ignition switch, and a different keyed set from another bike, so that's why my locks all show it. I don't believe my XJ had the numbers in sight. Oh well, it'll just throw them off a little more if they try to have a key made. Anything to confuse them.
        Last edited by Yard Dogg; 11-02-2012, 05:44 PM.
        "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

They would have to have at least 2 keys made to steal my bike, and know where my device is. And hopefully they would have to know the years of the locks as well, not sure how that works.

Comment

As a matter of fact, that's some good advice in itself. Maybe we should all have 2 different keys for our bikes. 1 for the ignition and 1 for the steering lock. People on here could trade steering locks and keys to make it harder for a thief, just food for thought.

Comment

Only the XJ has a separate steering lock.....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Huh? So are the rest electric?

Comment

On the XS bikes, the steering lock is part of the ignition switch, not separate. So you can't have two keys....
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hey Dogg,

The other XS's steering locks are part of the ignition key mechanism, involves positioning the steering properly, then pushing in the key which then allows it to turn backwards past the normal position to actuate the locking pin. But if you're not careful, you can go past the lock into PARK, and then turns ON the parking/tail lights to run down your battery!

Another option for folks with visible key lock codes is to have their locks rekeyed with a different code from what is visible.

The extra security switch is a good idea, and for areas that are prone to this type of theft/mischief activity. Otherwise, it may be a bit much of a bother? A separate chain and lock might be just as effective. This way unless they had a boltcutter, they couldn't ROLL the bike into a trailer or such to then part out or figure out why they couldn't hotwire it? JAT.

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

the rh had both a seperate steering lock
                      as well as the usual lock on the ignition,
                      just sum uselesss info for any1 that likes
                      to know the differences between the bikes here
                      and over there. :-)
                      pete

new owner of
                      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                      zrx carbs
                      18mm float height
                      145 main jets
                      38 pilots
                      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Yup, I now recall my 80 LG having the ignition steering lock. It was nice.

Comment

Okay, I can take a hint, but if somebody steals your keys, takes your bike out on a joy ride and leaves it in an irrigation canal, you'll be wishing you'd installed one of these babies! Maybe you'll even hear the noise in your shop, and catch the punk in the act.

Comment

Or who knows, maybe your wifey poo will get mad you for spending all your time with the Yamaha, steel your keys, forge the title, then send you to the store for a gallon of milk while some dude comes over to snatch up your bike. Think of the satisfaction in coming home and catching them in the act, committing cycle adultery.

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                              the rh had both a seperate steering lock
                              as well as the usual lock on the ignition,
                              just sum uselesss info for any1 that likes
                              to know the differences between the bikes here
                              and over there. :-)
                              All the XS11's I've owned have had a separate steering-head lock as well as the ignition switch steering lock. So do the US XS11's only have the ignition switch steering lock?

Tom
                              1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                              1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                              1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                              1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                              X