No announcement yet.

cafe style seat for 1980 1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One other caveat, the e-bay listing says that the item offered is foam and cover only, NO pan. CZ

Comment

I think the standard seat with the tail cone piece looks better than what I have on my special. It's clear that seat from the standard doesn't just bolt on to my special, but how about if I were to swap out the fenders as well? Would I be able to mount the TCI onto the fender and attach the standard seat? I am hoping to buy some cheap parts and probably need to recover the seat anyway, so I'm not too worried about the fitting by the gas tank because I plan on reshaping the foam...
      ATP Turbo

Comment

I regularly swap between 24 litre gas tank and Special style gas tank on my Euro Sport (5K7, same as a Special) for touring, I havn't shortened the Special seat for use with the big tank, simply bolt the seat down 1/2" further back on the clamps, that way when refitting the Special tank the seat is still a good fit.

There is one other issue when trying to fit Standard seats on Specials or the other way round, that I'm not sure has been mentioned, that is the seat sliding clamp bracket on the bikes frame is different heights between the Specials and Standards, the Specials are higher, this means the rubber feet of a Standard seat won't all be touching the frame if used on a Special frame, not a huge problem, glue some extra rubber pads in there, but if not done could cause seat pan fractures over a period of unsupported use.

Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
          One other caveat, the e-bay listing says that the item offered is foam and cover only, NO pan. CZ

Go back to the link I posted. They have a SG/SH seat and a E/F seat. Both include the pan.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I'm going to give this a try over the winter, and I thought it may interest you, too:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klcwT2IMznU

The mounting hardware can be easily replaced with industrial strength adhesive-backed Velcro. The trickiest bit would be quality upholstering.
            "What are you rebelling against?"

1980 XS1100 SG "Molly"
            The heaviest cafe racer around.

Comment

Working...
            X