cafe style seat for 1980 1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cafe style seat for 1980 1100?

Don't get me wrong I actually like the stock, "two tier" seat that is already on this 1100 I am probably going to buy. I just want to see what my options are.

So again I was wondering about a cafe style seat for the 80' 1100 that can be found on some of the older 11's. And by cafe style I mean a one piece black vinyl seat with minimal stitching, flat with the diagonal back section of the seat that mimics, in a way at least, the same form as the normally separate back plastic piece you see on cafe racers. The actual word for this piece is obviously eluding me. I hope some folks can translate what it is I am trying to articulate here.

If not a cafe style seat then just a plain(ish) flat seat with minimal styling, if you will. ...plain or maybe very plain. ...vintage I guess.

I have read up on a thread here with the same inquiry but one concerning a 79' instead of an 80'. The conclusion I gathered was that it may very well be impossible to find the seat I am looking for short of hiring a professional upholsterer.

thanks folks!,

Mark
    80 G

seat

I am also looking for a solo seat for my sg.
    From what I have seen the HD sportster take off seats are a
    reasonable option.
    What do you do with the TCI?
    I guess you could rotate the fender up and take off the tail light and mount a new combo tail light license plate holder in place of the old license plate only holder.
    Could the TCI be mounted under the Sportster seat
    Anyhow, I did not mean to hijack your thread, but is this what you were talking about??? or something different???

Comment

Look on ebay for the outfit in Vietnam. They make the seats for both Standards, and Specials. I think they are expensive with the shipping, but i am a cheap ass.
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
      A quick death and an easy one.
      A pretty girl and an honest one.
      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

A more specific question would be is a cafe style seat that fits an 80' 11 SPECIAL fit an 80' 11 standard.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1981-Ya...f3a917&vxp=mtr

I think that I read on this board the other day that the specials, midnight special are NOT compatible to the standard, even of the same year.

Is this true?

thanks,

Mark
        80 G

Comment

I feel I can pretty confidently say that the specials are not compatible to the standard. Obviously a different tank... different fit etc.

But maybe I'm wrong!?

And again I am not solely looking for a cafe style seat. A plain Jane flat(ish) vintage 70's style seat would be just as appealing for me. Any of those compatible to the 1980 xs1100 standard?

thanks,
          80 G

Comment

Seat interchange.... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36552

You're not going to find any 'bolt-on' seats other than OEM or direct-fit aftermarket, and anything else will require some degree of modification.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thank you "Crazy Steve"!,

Referring to the 78' and 79' standard seats: "The TCI (mounted on the rear fender) is covered by the 'tail cone' on these models, so these won't fit any other models with the TCI directly under the seat."

So this essentially means that although the 78' and 79' standards are compatible with each other they are not compatible with the 1980 standards.

Are there simple modifications that can be done to make this happen?

Again thank you for the very thorough, well laid out info. Steve!

Mark
              80 G

Comment

@1234 loft,

You were not highjacking this thread.

So it seems obvious enough that the tci amounts to the mounting apparatus.

The tci is located on the frame of the bike?

The accommodating mounting bracket is located under the seat it seems. The latter part seems pretty obvious.

If I were able to rig a 78' or 79' standard cafe style seat for the 80' standard would I have to replace the back fender as 1234 loft implied?

thanks!,
                80 G

Comment

78-79 standards, the TCI mounts to the rear fender and us covered by the plastic tail cone the is connected to the rear of the seat. All the others the TCI is mounted on the plastic inner fender and is covered by the seat, and the seat pan has a relief in it to accommodate the tci.

The other main problem with seat interchangeability is sidecover issues. They are shappers different and it doesn't look right if you dont have the right seat/sidecover combo.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                    Look on ebay for the outfit in Vietnam. They make the seats for both Standards, and Specials. I think they are expensive with the shipping, but i am a cheap ass.
                    www.hondaclassic31.com is the eBay seller you refer to. You can purchase from their site, a later Special seat or an early standard seat.

This looks to me like it fits any Special except the SF.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Marty!

Does anyone else know for sure whether this seat from Marty's previous post would be compatible for a 1980 eleven standard?

Again this cosmetic pursuit of mine, with these posts concerning seats, fenders etc. is not super important but knowing what the options are out there is a nice feeling. Folks on this board are really helpful on all matters xs 1100 so...

Anyone else want to weigh in here?

thanks folks!,
                      80 G

Comment

The descriptions leave much to be desired. From the pictures, it looks to me like they have a seat for the XS1100E, XS1100F, XS1100SG, XS1100SH, and maybe the Midnights.

See Crazy Steve's guide for further clarification. Interchange Guide: Seats, Grab Rails, Sidecovers, Taillights
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by new model army View Post
                          - - - The actual word for this piece is obviously eluding me. - - -
                          Hi Mark,
                          us ex- Brits call it a bumstop.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Here's one...

...on ebay.

Not mine, Just sayin'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NOS-...4956f4&vxp=mtr
                            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Hi again Mark,
                              Special seat fits up to a Standard tank if you shorten the front of the pan by ~1/2", re-shape the front lip and make a dent for the filler cap drain spigot.
                              And re-shape the front of the foam to suit, the original cover will work too.
                              A seat pan that won't clear a rear fender-mount iggybox can have a hole cut in the pan and the foam cherried out for clearance.
                              Mr Meticulous would make a little box to go in there from 28ga aluminum builder's flashing.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X