Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New XS11 to ride!!!!

Hey Fellas-

So, finally saved my pennies and was able to pick up the XS11 today. 1979 Standard. Painted in Dynamite Yellow. About 30,000 well-maintained miles on her (all documented with original bill of sale included). I am the third owner, with the previous owner owning the bike since '91. He completely went through the bike's engine and rebuilt it from the bottom up, including dog gear fix. Had the valves surfaced and the intake ported. The only non-standard on the bike is that he converted the air filter box to accommodate an automotive square filter (pretty nice in my book), and Mac pipes, which surprisingly sound much better on this bike than they did on my 750. He gave me three boxes of invaluable parts including extra electronics, side covers, etc. On his wall he had a complete set of Jardine spaghetti pipes that he was going to give me. I felt obliged to tell him that he could fetch some good money for them on this forum, and that he was better off selling them, as I felt like a crook taking them off his hands.

The first thing I am going to do today is first FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THE SEAT AND LEFT SIDE COVER OFF (HELP IS APPRECIATED). After that, change the oil, throw on some Euro bars, and after this weekend order an ACCT and a TKAT fork brace. Bike runs good. Gotta be honest, I was expecting a little bit more hold onto your seat power, but, that may be a jetting issue in-combination with the exhaust. We'll see. I'll check on the valve lash when I have a day off soon.

Brand new Metzeler touring tired on them. All the chrome looks great. Plan is to clean up the engine and re-paint it. Not sure if I'll go gray or black. We'll see. Other than that, I am happy with the bike and cannot wait to have the whole next summer to spend on the road with her.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Wheres the pics?
    To remove the seat there are two bolts under it,one on each side. loosen both bolts and slide the seat forward and lift straight up.
    The left side cover has a lock at the bottom. Insert your key and turn, then pull out on the bottom.Once the bottom is free, pull the top of the cover.The top has two rubber grommets that hold it in place.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Pictures will come tonight after work. I'm actually off to the mall to pick up a few things, then Walmart for some Rotella, then Advance for a caliber lock, then the motorcycle shop for some Euro bars.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

And thanks for the info on removing the seat.
        1979 XS1100F

Comment

Congrats!

Congrats on the purchase! Looking forward to seeing some pics. Maybe a 2013 ride early next year as I am near you..
          1979 XS110F, Stock
          1980 XS1100G, Mostly Stock, gifted to my son.
          2000 YZ 250, Sold
          2002 YZ125, Sold
          2009 Royal Star Venture
          '94 Pontiac Trans Am, 25th Anniversary, For Sale

Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            I'm actually off to the mall to pick up a few things, then Walmart for some Rotella
            Rotella will cause your clutch to slip. Just sayin'
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
              Wheres the pics?
              To remove the seat there are two bolts under it,one on each side. loosen both bolts and slide the seat forward and lift straight up.
              The left side cover has a lock at the bottom. Insert your key and turn, then pull out on the bottom.Once the bottom is free, pull the top of the cover.The top has two rubber grommets that hold it in place.
              The locking tab is formed plastic and somewhat delicate. The key only goes part way in to unlock the cover.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

http://db.tt/hNkJ2Wpv
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

Nice looking ride! That yellow is dynamite for sure. You are at the right place to keep it well maintained and running great as so many here are willing to share their knowledge. Happy trails.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Nice lookin' F Ian. I like the way the Mac turnouts sound too, they have a nice growl.

Man, I can't believe you didn't snap up that set of Jardines.

I would like to see the air filter conversion when yo get a chance.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Y Hmm. Got an oil leak from the oil filter housing I think. Did I tighten it too hard, not enough, or something else? And, I'll get a pic of that air filter set-up tonight.
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

Does the oil filter bolt spring go on the inside or the outside of the filter? Right now it's on the outside, and if it's supposed to go on the inside, I have the source of my leak.
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

Regarding the Jardines, they were in good shape. He said he was going to throw them away. He said they were too loud for him. I don't like loud pipes either.
                          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Regarding the Jardines, they were in good shape. He said he was going to throw them away. He said they were too loud for him. I don't like loud pipes either.
                            I think I just choked on my tongue.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Does the oil filter bolt spring go on the inside or the outside of the filter? Right now it's on the outside, and if it's supposed to go on the inside, I have the source of my leak.
                              Insert the bolt into the cup. Drop the spring in around the bolt. Put the washer onto the spring. Then the filter. The oring aroung the bolt is the seal and it seals regarless of the bolt torque. The trick is to be sure the big oring is in the groove when you tighten the cup with the bolt. New ones need to be put into a pan of hot water to straighten out. A bit of grease will help hold it in the groove of the cup. If it leaks, it is likely that the Oring slipped out of the groove. Do not over-torque the bolt or you will play hell getting it loose for the next oil change!!!
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                              X