Dead Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Bike

Hey all, I was on my way to work this morning and the bike up and quit on me. I was at about 45 mph and suddenly, I had no power to the throttle. I put my flashers on and coasted into a driveway and the engine quit. I checked all the fuses: all good. Next, I tried the starter: I can hear the solenoid engaging, but the engine will not turn over. Next, I tried to push start it: it will catch for a second or two, but will not stay started.

Does this sound like a coil problem?

Thanks
    -Andrew

80 XS11 G: Project bike

It does sound electrical. but of course I have to ask the simple thing first....Does it have gas? Are you on Reserve or Prime if the tank is low?

I would start with the Battery, make sure it has a good charge and is holding a charge. These bikes actually run off the battery all the time, the battery is recharged by the alternator and voltage regulator while it is running. So a dead battery will actually kill the engine while it is running. The fact the starter is not turning the engine over would suggest the battery may not be up to snuff.

From there I would check the fuses as you stated you had. But if they are the old style, then perhaps the fuse itself is good but not the connectors. Thos eglass fuses can even look just fine but be broken where you can not see them and not conduct the go juice.

Also look at the alternator connection behind the fuse box. Just recently a member found this connector melted down almost completely.

Not saying it is not a coil, but it is unusual to lose both coils at once, and these bikes will run on two cylinders, just not very well. So the fact it did not start missing badly but just up and died would say it was probably not a coil or pick-up coil or wires issue. Sounds more like alternator, perhaps voltage regulator rectifier, or the TCI itself.

I would also not rule out a bad key switch, or run-stop switch. Depends on if you get lights on the dash or not, or tach lights up.

Just a few of my thoughts on it.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Since it won't turn over with the start button it's probably the kill switch, ignition switch, or a fuse problem.

A bad coil won't stop the starter from working.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

As my buddy from the GS forums states, and I quote "To measure is to know". Start from the source of power and work out from that. My bet is that battery is depleted. And, since Transistorized ignition is dependent on our batteries (below 11.5 volts, the TCI will not send out signals), that bike will not be starting till you figure out why the battery died. (R/R, stator, or battery).
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

It does have gas

One of the first things I did when I got the bike was switch out the fuse box for the blade style, so that shouldn't be the issue.

The lights all come on still, so I am getting some power.

The battery is only about a month old, I bought it brand new from Walmart and trickle charged it at 2 amps on an automatic charger.

At first, when I tried starting it after it died, it sounded like the starter motor was trying to turn over, but maybe didn't have enough juice?

I will check the alternator connection and see what kind of shape it is in.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated
          -Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
            It does have gas

One of the first things I did when I got the bike was switch out the fuse box for the blade style, so that shouldn't be the issue.

The lights all come on still, so I am getting some power.

The battery is only about a month old, I bought it brand new from Walmart and trickle charged it at 2 amps on an automatic charger.

At first, when I tried starting it after it died, it sounded like the starter motor was trying to turn over, but maybe didn't have enough juice?

I will check the alternator connection and see what kind of shape it is in.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated
            Check your battery connections and ground connections from the battery to the frame and from the frame to the engine.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
              below 11.5 volts, the TCI will not send out signals
              Make that more like 10.5. Everything else I agreed with
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

+1 on the 10.5 volts. Try working the kill switch back and forth and try working the key switch back and forth. Might be some gunk in there. Other things... Ballast resistor shorting out on a ground, dirty terminals or connections. Also try cleaning the frame contact at the volt regulator. That is king of a crummy way that Yamaha provided ground there.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

PS, some batteries are maintenance free, but the drawback on this is that some of those give up rather suddenly instead of gradually. You need to do a load test on the battery after fully charging it. You can't just test volts across the terminals because there might be a "skin charge" without any real capacity.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                  03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Sounds to me like a depleated battery that is not being charged enough because of poor corroded/melted alternator connections at the plug behind the fuse panel. JAT
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

First problem you mention is the engine died. This is more likely a bad connection or switch or moisture. The second issue is you had problems starting after it and I would bet the two are connected. A fuel problem will not cause issues with starter turning engine. More than likely you have a bad or intermittant connection from the kill switch or ignition switch a ground or starter relay. These need to be isolated one by one with a meter. Steve has in trouble aids a good troubleshooting writeup I'd use it.

There are a few quick tests to satisfy your mind about other issues the starter not working so since you checked fuses etc the simple things jumper across the starter relay and see if bike turns over. If bike turns over battery is good starter good and engine not locked. If it will not turn over Isolate if battery is bad starter is bad or a mechanical problem. Mechanical you should be able to put bike into neutral and hand turn engine with plugs out. Starter you can wire straight from a car battery and if it doesn not turn its the problem. If a car battery turns it the battery in the bike is bad.
                      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                      1980 G Silverbird
                      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                      1198 Overbore kit
                      Grizzly 660 ACCT
                      Barnett Clutch Springs
                      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                      122.5 Main Jets
                      ACCT Mod
                      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                      Antivibe Bar ends
                      Rear trunk add-on
                      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

If the battery gets low at all, the flashers don't work. He said he turned the flashers on after it died. Seems to me the battery isn't going to be the problem... but I've been wrong before. lol.
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Okay, so I got it home last night and checked the battery: 10.4. Something must be draining the battery, or not re-charging it sufficiently.

I hooked it up to the trickle charger overnight, went out this morning and it started right up.

My first suspicion is the horn: I replaced the stock horns (didn't come along when I bought the bike) with a set of FIAMMs which have a direct line to the battery (through a relay). The bike also did not come with a horn button. In the mean time, I cut down a bolt that is able to screw into the spot where the horn button should be. This was always a temporary solution, but I got lazy and haven't replaced it yet.

Could this be the culprit that would be slowly draining the battery even when the key is off?

Thanks again for all the help!
                          -Andrew

Comment

If it quit while you were riding it then the charging system isn't working. You should have around 14v @2000 RPM. A drain shouldn't make a difference if the bike is running and the charging system is working.

Is your tach working? First sign of a charging problem is the tach will quit working.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

If your horn is actuated with a switch, then the NO switch is preventing any amount of voltage use via that switch. So, no, it's not the switch. I also did not read from you any other impedance/voltage testing besides the battery's state of charge. I'll give you some advice: don't assume or guess with anything electrical. These XS bikes actually had very reliable electronics versus the GS's. So, while anything is possible, know that it can be anything from a frayed/broken/melted wire, to a failed electronic component. You REALLY have to bust out your DMM and start measuring. It's the only way you'll know what's going on.
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X