Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good caps for the carb sync nipples

Gents,

The thick, heavy caps for the carb sync nipples in the intake tracks have dies several years ago. Since then, I have used assorted rubber vacuum nipple caps from the auto parts stores to seal the two outside nipples. Unfortunately, they seem to only last about 6 months before they split or crack and start leaking.

It blows my mind that the factory pieces lasted 30 years, but the aftermarket stuff only lasts 1/2 a year! Does anyone know were I can get some NOS caps? Or a source of GOOD long lasting caps?

Thanks!
    -- Clint
    1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Bikebandit.com or your friendly Yamaha dealer:

4: PLUG,BLIND,(5MT6) 1148148 Usually ships within 1 to 2 business days $3.09
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Might wanna get a couple new spring clamps or spring the clamp tighter before installing. I put two new ones from Yamaha on mine and when they get hot they can easily be removed. Went back to the heavy duty ones, even thought smaller diamater outside from NAPA. When hot, they're stuck tight with no clamp. Put the others back in there original packaging as maybe I'll come across some good quality spring clamps. The vacuum caps from NAPA are definitely going to be your best quality, as I Have compared them in the past with other suppliers.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

blind plugs for carb nipples

don't be tempted to buy the ones from mikesxs. like most of their rubber and plastic stuff, they're junk.

Comment

I'll give NAPA a try. I went there yesterday to get new banjo copper compression washers (calipers, master cylinders and oil tube to head). The other auto parts stores have gone so far down hill that they don't have what you need and when they do, it is such crappy quality (vacuum caps anyone?) that you might as well not waste your time. Motor oil, antifreeze, and bling seems to be it for them these days.
          -- Clint

Comment

I use the NAPA ones, been there for a couple years now.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I take a small piece of vacuum hose about 5/8" long and jam a BB in one end, works perfect, you can make a hundred of them for the price of one good vacuum cap. A good trick is put some dielectric grease on the carb boot nipple so they don't bake themselves on there and get stuck.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

I've never had problems taking them off. They always fail when the very top of the cap splits right at the top of the nipple. The rubber is usually NASTY at that point, even though it has only been 6 months or so.
                -- Clint

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
                  I've never had problems taking them off. They always fail when the very top of the cap splits right at the top of the nipple. The rubber is usually NASTY at that point, even though it has only been 6 months or so.
                  Yep, I've never gone back to those crappy auto store caps, all of them will break like you are saying, even the Napa ones, BTDT. The reason I use the grease is because I use the smaller ID vac hose, no need for those little pita clamps then.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Found some by googling the part number.
                    Amazon has them for $2.61 each.
                    http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-16G-135.../dp/B005C5AGCA
                    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                    The Green Monster
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                    Got him in '04.
                    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                    Scarlet
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                    Got her in '11
                    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                    Hugo
                    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                    Cold weather ride

Comment

NW VIntage Cycle also has them for $2.94 each
                      http://www.nwvintagecycleparts.com/s...00-00&st=spart

Parts Pak for $2.21
                      http://www.partspak.com/productcart/...product=216841

MikeXS does have a 'compatable one, but others have said, the rubber might not be up to snuff. I'd stick with one of thess other places to get some OEM ones.

Lawnmowerpros for $2.95
                      http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/detail....6G-13569-00-00

According to the Yamaha Site, these are still available from the dealer with a MSRP of $2.94 part number: 16G-13569-00-00
                      Last edited by GLoweVA; 10-12-2012, 01:52 PM.
                      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                      The Green Monster
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                      Got him in '04.
                      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                      Scarlet
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                      Got her in '11
                      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                      Hugo
                      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                      Cold weather ride

Comment

Thanks guys!

Crap! I was just at the Yamaha dealer (looking for a couple of shims) 45 minutes ago and I forgot to ask about these! Oh well!
                        -- Clint

Comment

Caps and Clamps

NW Vintage Cycle (NWVCP.com) has OEM caps and the clamps. I have used them a lot in the past. they ship everything USPS keeping costs down. On the site, there is a colum at the left. Put your mouse on yhe OEM tab and "Yamaha" comes up. Click on that and take it from there.

16G-13569-00-00 Cap $2.94
                          90467-11028-00 Clip $3.45

Looked these up for a XS1100H. Should be the same for all models XS. Their prices aren't always the best, but they are OEM parts.

MP
                          1981 XS1100H Venturer
                          K&N Air Filter
                          ACCT
                          Custom Paint by Deitz
                          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                          Stebel Nautilus Horn
                          EBC Front Rotors
                          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Thanks guys. I ended up ordering half a dozen from Amazon. The cheapies will last that long, I hope!
                            -- Clint

Comment

I like to use silicon. Buy some silicon that is impervious to gasoline. Then you can use wood metal or thick plastic and drill some holes that are slightly larger than the carb holes and fill em up with silicon and let them harden. You can also drill a larger hole on top of the first hole so there is a shoulder on the plug when you're done. The plugs will be of a soft nature so they seal up nicely. The quality depends on the quality of the sealant you use.
                              "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
                              X