XJ brake lever hard to pull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ brake lever hard to pull?

My front brake lever is harder to pull than any other bike I've had. When used alone it seems to stop as well as that single rotor can be expected to. With help I've switched to steel brake lines all around. That came with a master cylinder cleaning and fluid flush of course.

I'm still a bit worried about the lever pull. It doesn't move much. I don't have much adjustment left on the plunger screw - it is mostly backed out. The lever moves little now and even less if I run the screw down.

1) Should the front brake really haul my XJ to a quick stop by itself?
    2) Should I be concerned about the short hard pull?
    3) If so, what should I do about it?

Thanks experts!!!
    82 XJ11

The front brake is approximately 70% of your stopping force. It absolutely should bring your XJ to a quick stop even without your rear. Am I reading you post wrong...do you have both calipers up front?

The short pull shouldnt be a problem, you want a nice firm feel to it and stainless lines help that.
    Last edited by WMarshy; 09-26-2012, 09:28 PM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Are you sure you have the original master cylinder on there? The 'split braking' system of the LH/XJ used a smaller-bore master for the single front caliper, if a XS dual-caliper master (with a larger bore) was swapped on that would be the result.

As to how 'good' the single front brake should be, these bikes were never known for the excellence of their brakes.. Yes, it will stop the bike, but not nearly as well if all brakes are used. Yamaha put put dual discs on for a reason.

If you have the correct master, you might want to look at the caliper. If it hasn't been gone through it's likely got the typical corrosion inside, it may not be releasing all the way. If the master needed cleaning, there's no doubt the calipers need it too...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
        The front brake is approximately 70% of your stopping force. It absolutely should bring your XJ to a quick stop even without your rear. Am I reading you post wrong...do you have both calipers up front?
        Yes, and no.....

On the XJ you have the split brakes as steve was talking about. Only one caliper is operated by the front brake handle. The other caliper is operated by the rear brake pedal along with the rear brake.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          Yes, and no.....

On the XJ you have the split brakes as steve was talking about. Only one caliper is operated by the front brake handle. The other caliper is operated by the rear brake pedal along with the rear brake.
          For some reason I always thought you could still operate both front calipers from the front brake handle. If that was true then you'd be operating all three... wow, I'd toss that linked system b/c I couldnt imagine not having both my front brakes when I squeeze the handle!
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
            For some reason I always thought you could still operate both front calipers from the front brake handle. If that was true then you'd be operating all three... wow, I'd toss that linked system b/c I couldnt imagine not having both my front brakes when I squeeze the handle!
            With the split system, the idea is that you should be relying on the rear brake pedal for most of your braking (but still using BOTH brakes every time), since it balances the pressure out between both wheels. The split rear MC allows for a more controlled stop, reducing the chance of locking the brakes. Goldwings use the same setup to help stop all that weight.

The brake lever should not come all the way down to the handlebars. Once you press it all the way down as far as you can, you should still be able to get your fingers between the lever and the grip.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

All calipers and both m/c's were cleaned thoroughly when the lines were swapped for stainless. As far as I can tell via my admittedly limited experience with XJ's the "brakes" (calipers, pad, pistons, lines, fluid) are indeed working as intended.

My concern is if my front lever is acting properly. When I use it alone, it does stop the bike - eventually. Maybe not so much a surprise b/c of the aforementioned linked system.

I'm still not so sure about the lever action/feel though. It's hard and travels little. In fact, it comes to rest nearly outside of my reach. There's PLENTY of space between the lever and the grip when compressed as far as I can pull it. I have the plunger adjustment screw backed nearly all the way out. If I tighten it at all the pull is VERY hard, the lever moves VERY little, and it comes to rest VERY close to out of reach.
              82 XJ11

Comment

Do you have the right lever? Yamaha used a couple of different designs on the various bikes, maybe somebody swapped on the wrong one? Should look like this:

Another possibility could be that the end of the master piston is worn. There's been reports that the adjustment screw will wear a 'divot' in the end of the piston, hanging up the screw, limiting lever travel and making applying the brake hard. Removing the piston and filing the end flat again should do the trick...
                Last edited by crazy steve; 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

That's the lever I have. Don't suppose I'm really lucky and you have a picture or two of the master piston and it's removal?
                  82 XJ11

Comment

Well, first check to see if the end of the piston is flat; you can do that without disassembling the master, just remove the lever. If there's a depression worn in the end, that's the likely problem. The adjustment screw has to 'slide' across that surface as the lever is pulled, if there's a divot the screw will hang up.

To disassemble the master, look here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37209

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

My bolt was not rounded at all. It was just a regular bolt. I rounded it off and cleaned up the piston end as much as possible without disassembling the m/c.

No change in lever pull or feel.

Could the stock bolt be different on XJs than in your tutorial?
                      Guess my only option now is rebuild the m/c and hope for the best?

Thanks again!
                      82 XJ11

Comment

Was there any depression on the end of the master piston where the adjustment bolt contacts? If there is, that's likely the problem. The adjustment bolt and lever are the same as the XS, so that's not it.

Otherwise, I think you'll need to take the master apart; it may be misassembled...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

There was a depression. I didn't get it all filed away. Are new pistons available?
                          82 XJ11

Comment

One thing to try before you tear the master cylinder apart;
                            Apply pressure to the handle. Have some one crack the bleed screw on the caliper that the brake line goes to. I think it's the right side.
                            The handle should go down. Just like bleeding the brakes.
                            If it does, that would indicate that the master cylinder is OK, and you have a really good setup, cause every one I've dealt with had a bit of give, even with stainless lines.
                            If it doesn't go down farther than it did before you cracked the bleed screw, you have a problem in the master cylinder. CZ

Comment

Originally posted by ljasonb View Post
                              There was a depression. I didn't get it all filed away. Are new pistons available?
                              Yes, in complete rebuild kits; check with 'Chakal' over at the XJ forum, as he seems to be the only supplier. But if the only problem is the divot, simply file yours until it's flat again...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                              X