No announcement yet.

Tranny fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks...is it just the one washer we switch...

Comment

Yes, just take the washer that was between 2 gear and the clip, and put it on the shaft before you put 2 back on.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Close!!!...over the weekend i completely took apart completed the "dremel repair"...wasnt too bad...also did the washer swap..then cleaned well with warm soap and water..hand dried and gave a nice oil bath...now i just have to get them back in...should i connect the shift forks around the gears or just leave them laying in there and pull them up after i get them in..?...this could be tricky..hahaha

Comment

Yes, getting the gears back in will be tricky, and make you swear at life and your mother before your done. Then getting the shift forks in place will REALLY make you swear.

The trick I have found for getting the gears back in is to slide the middle driven gear out to the end of the shaft, also let first gear slide off its collar out against the middle driven gear. These two gears do not have much room for side to side movement when they get into place on the main shaft. When you get the shaft up and close to going into place, you will need to slide the collar back inside first gear.

Look at the middle driven gear, you will see the neck that sticks out where it rides on the shaft. There is an indent in the case that that neck piece goes into. Getting that neck over the lip into the indent is the trickiest part. When I put the gears back in, I keep 2nd gear inside 5th gear pinion on the main shaft, then slide the countershaft up into place. You will need to wiggle shake, and push and wiggle till you get that neck over the lip.

For me, I find that I put 2nd-3rd shift fork in first, the one to the main shaft gear, smaller one. Some folks thread a wire, string through the shift fork holes and the cases to help get them into place. I never tried it but it might be worth the effort. Then I hold the fork on to fourth while I put the gears in place. You have to let it rotate around the gear some, but it will be in place to engage the shift drum. The last shift fork I put in as I am installing 5th gear wheel, after I have the shaft in place and the bolt installed on the clutch side.

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

wish me luck!!..lol..im gonna give it my best tonight..talk to ya tom..thanks again!!

Comment

Wishing you luck and offering up a sacrifice to the black voodoo magic god of the tranny. It fits, really it does!! Make sure you check the shift forks before you start, the two look identical but are not, it makes a difference which one is on which side. You will hate yourself if you get that shaft in and then figure you need to pop it out to swap shift forks around!!

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Wahoo!!..i did it!!..thanks for all your help guys..now just bits and pieces to put back together...i will post when i flip it and start it again

Comment

Congrats!!! Now, before you go buttoning up all the covers, make sure to put the shifter back on and run it through the gears a few times just to be sure it is all in place and working properly. It is kind of deflating to pull the freshly gasketed covers back off to figure out you forgot a C-clip or to properly adjsut the shift pawl alignement or return spring got insalled wrong.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

good call..i went through 3 last night by hand but, ill put the lever on and cycle them...everything sounds nice and smooth so far!!

Comment

Working...
                    X