Tranny fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny fix

So after a long rd with this bike, i have decided to spend the time to fix the tranny instead of trashing it. Bike is running good now, but jumping out of gear when torque is applied...seems to be the "dremel fix" is needed. When i took the clutch basket out the main nut that's supposed to be at 51-1/2 ft lbs was hand loose...not good!!...none of the gears were affected..no metal shavings in the oil, but def not a good thing. So now its flipped over and have removed the oil pan and again the internal gears all look good...no shavings again!!..plus..so my question for you experts is on the nut to the clutch basket??..was loose..would this have been the reason for the gears jumping?..im planning on still finishing the dremel repair...but the dogs didn't look to have very much wear..not like some pics Ive seen..gonna pull the oil pump and gears tonight, so i will try to provide some pics for you guys to evaluate..thanks guys!!

The clutch nut being loose would not cause the gear issues your experiencing. The clutch mounts on the end of the "main shaft" of gears. The gears that give us all the slipping are on the countershaft, below the main shaft. So you still need to fix the gears. That nut is supposed to have a locking collar on it. If the nut was locked in place, just not as tight as you would expect for 51 ft-lbs. Then I doubt it has any real effect on operation.

As to the gears, if the ends look rounded and shiney at all, they can easily slip out of gear. If your going to pull the shaft of gears out, and your having these slipping issues, you would be a fool not to grind the gears IMHO.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

yeah im gonna grind on them...ill try to take some pics tonight for ya

Comment

This is available at Mike's XS. I don't know of anyplace else.

Clutch Hub Lock Tab
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

i still have mine..its a little rough looking but still should bend over to lock the clutch nut in place

Comment

well got the oil pump out last night, with no problems...but now im stuck!!..trying to figure out how to get the gears out..Ive read the step by step directions but cant get it to come together...the bike is in 4th gear and am stuck at the point of removing the 5th gear first...then the others follow...my shift forks look good...there is some shiny metal surface like someone had said it would look like...grinding is necessary..also should i do the washer fix when a put it back together?..it looked like i could pull the rod that holds the shift forks out to free the gears up, but don't know if that's a good idea..any help is greatly appreciated... don't wanna start prying on something if i don't need to and break it...i see the grooves in the drum..like it says the forks slide down and away into the motor..but how do you do that?

Comment

also i have pics on cell phone but cant get uploaded to this site..if anyone wants to see them send me a email add...and i would be happy to send them

Comment

Your on the right track. You have to get the shift forks off the gears before 5th will slide out. Did you remove the shift pawls, and the c-clip off the shifter side of the shift fork shaft? If you did, then you are ready to start pushing the shift fork shaft out the clutch side, where the oil pump idler gear is mounted on the shift fork shaft. You have to slide that shaft out of the shift fork, then you can manouver the shift fork off of 5th gear, that will allow it to slide out of the hole where the bearing was.

After that you have to slide the shift fork shaft the rest of the way out, and mover the shift fork off of 4th gear. This will allow the countershaft to slide toward that bearing hole to get the shaft out of the bearing in the engine case on the clutch side. You did remove the countershaft retaining bolt that was under the clutch...yes?

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

AND YES...do the washer move.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

awesome fellas so much feedback so fast!!!..anyways...id did remove the counter shaft bolt and everything on the shift paul side...so just to clarify the shaft that has a gear on it for the oil pump is what i remove to manipulate the shift forks right?...i will try again tonight after work..thanks again guys!!..this isn't so bad with a lot of patience and this forum...

Comment

also removed the c-clip.....lol sorry didn't include that earlier

Comment

I remember my first time through it like it was yesterday...was it??...No...that was 2008.

Yes, the shift fork shaft comes through on the clutch side and has the oil pump idler gear on it. If you push it from the shifter side, you will see the oil pump gear move out. When you go to reinstall that shift fork shaft, there is locating pin on it, just behind the oil pump idler gear, that slide into a mating slot in the case. You so not want to beat on that shaft to try and make it go in only to find you bent the piss out of that pin. Not from experience...nooo...not at all!

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

ha funny..thanks man

Comment

Well i got the gears out!!..and without any issues..woo that's a relief...so i took them apart and can see the wear that im supposed to be seeing..not terrible but there..also on the washer fix..is it a swap from one side to the other or do you double them up?...i plan on doing the dremeling this weekend because i don't want to mess up, with being in a rush...thanks again

Comment

Just swap the washer from one side to the other...

2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X