Which paint resists gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which paint resists gas?

My shiny new black, clear-coated gas tank looked good until fuel vapors killed the paint job.

What paint should I have used?

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Polyurethene.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Ben go to a paint dealer (Sickens or P&G) and ask them, they will tell you to use hardener with your clear coat and paint as well, they will also advise mix ratios and pressure for your paint gun. Dont know if you used a spray can or not but spray can paint is suceptible to gas disolve......
      Bruce
      Bruce Doucette
      Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Re: Which paint resists gas?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ae7f
        [B]My shiny new black, clear-coated gas tank looked good until fuel vapors killed the paint job.

What paint should I have used?

I''ve got to agree with Danny on this one. The first bike I painted I used rattle can's and followed with a polyeurothane coating. The plastic coating is very resistant to gas.
        Brian
        1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
        1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
        remembering the same thing!

Comment

Howdy XSives,

It seems that the urethane paints are indeed the types to use on motorcycle gas tanks.

There are lots of places to order paint online. It seems to me that doing the job myself is not going to save me very much money when considering the cost of shipping the paint to me and my inexperience with the paint gun.

Perhaps my best bet at this point is to let a shop give me an estimate for the tank and side panels for the following type of job:

*tank and side panels are pre-prepped, primered, sanded, ect.
          *gas-resistant gloss black urethane base color coat
          *gas-resistant urethane clear coat

I think if I could get it done for $100 I'd be getting a steal, though $150 would probably be more realistic.

I could do the other simple paint jobs - frame, components, etc. - with lesser quality paint and with my painting experience.

What do you guys think?

I guess if anyone knows of another way I can get the paint reducer, hardener, and black paint for a smoking deal, I might consider otherwise. From my figures, 1 quart of paint should do around 112 square feet, which should be enough for a couple of coats on the tank and side panels.... ??

Will "rattle can" Krylon primer work underneath a urethane color coat?

Ben
          1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
          1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
          1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
          1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
          1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
          1982 XS650
          1980 XS1100g
          1979 XS1100sf
          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Use the primer it calls for unless you just need the practice!
            Garry
            '79 SF "Battle Cat"
            outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Working...
            X