any clutch options for a hard rider?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any clutch options for a hard rider?

Just picked up my new xs, and it may need a clutch soon. I ride it pretty hard, is there any other options for a clutch besides the stock replacement I can get at the yamaha dealership?

Originally posted by adam79 View Post
    Just picked up my new xs
    They're still making them new??!
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

You don't need a new clutch for your "NEW" XS. THIS should take car of any slippage you have. And, running the correct oil in the engine.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Just picked up my new xs, and it may need a clutch soon. I ride it pretty hard, is there any other options for a clutch besides the stock replacement I can get at the yamaha dealership?
        New clutch disc should'nt be needed. First, loosen cable adjustment and remove the two screw cover on the clutch side and adjust clutch at the throw-out bearing first by loosening the lock nut and turning screw in till contact is felt. Back out a quarter turn, holding in place, tighten lock-nut. Then re-adjust cable free-play. If that doesn't help, tipping bike on left side and removing clutch cover without draining oil can easily be done. Replace the clutch springs using Barnett springs ONLY as the replacement. Re-adjust and ride some then re-check both adjustments. Synthetic/semi-synthetic oils don't play well with these clutch disc.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

good. I forgot that those springs went soft, I replaced them on my 1st xs

Comment

I cant find xs1100 on that website, so I want to double check the part number with you guys for the right barnett spring set. 501-58-06045 ??

Comment

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...14&Search.y=10
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I cant find xs1100 on that website, so I want to double check the part number with you guys for the right barnett spring set. 501-58-06045 ??
                According to their chart, that fits all the XS11's. CZ

Comment

I bought these for my last bike and it fixed the slippage. Can't beat the price either.
                  http://www.bikebandit.com/ebc-csk-cl...g-kit?m=147104
                  "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
                    I bought these for my last bike and it fixed the slippage. Can't beat the price either.
                    http://www.bikebandit.com/ebc-csk-cl...g-kit?m=147104
                    The EBC springs don't last, the Barnetts do.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

If you've had both and you swear by this I will buy the Barnetts. I'll probably need to, my bikes been sitting for a decade.
                      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

I am going to need to change my clutch springs again soon after only about 4000 miles on the ebc springs. Going with the Barnett this time, EBC springs don't last.

Barnett also makes the friction discs for our clutch as well.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                          I am going to need to change my clutch springs again soon after only about 4000 miles on the ebc springs. Going with the Barnett this time, EBC springs don't last.

Barnett also makes the friction discs for our clutch as well.
                          I have read mixed reviews about the barnett steel/friction plate kit and would avoid replacing them if within spec. Usually just a light hand sanding with some 220 grit to knock the junk off the steels are all they need. Replacing the frictions arnt a bad idea but usually the springs solve the slipping...
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

+1. EBC springs don't last, and Barnett's will fix you up. I used to ride pretty hard, but got tired of tearing things up that nobody had heard of getting torn up before. Especially me.
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Barnetts sound good to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X