Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange engine sound (post debacle)

Hey again,

So I got my bike back together, reset the cam timing perfectly, reinstalled the tensioner and guide, everything looked good. The engine rotated without issue, and it seemed like I had compression (sucking and blowing out of each spark hole). Considering these things, I buttoned the bike back up, put some gas to its fuel lines and fired it up. It started prett much immediately, the engine was much quieter, but there's a tapping noise now.

I'm not sure if this sound was always present and I didn't notice it because the cam was so loose, or if it's some slightly bent valves touching my pistons, maybe piston slap?

If I could rotate the engine fine without any sounds before, would it make sense for the valves to be bumping pistons?

Will a compression test or leak test let me know if this is an issue?
    80 SG Jardine 4-1

Is it coming from the valve cover or somewhere else? A slight exhaust leak will sound like a tapping.

Did you check valve clearances while you were in there.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Or a weld gone bad on the inside of double walled header taps like valve noise too.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Or it could be the normal loudness of these engines.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

What were the valve clearances like?
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
          X