Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Pictures and videos posted on the first page of this thread*

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
    no, dielecteic grease is non conducting.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Originally posted by GALLAECUS
    not sure where you are in Ct, but i have some items you can plug and play and see if it helps. carbs, tci's regs.coils, etc...?????
    I'm in Trumbull about to move up to Coventry. Thank you very much for your offer and willingness to help.

Originally posted by GLoweVA
    So let me see if I got you right, you rotated/advanced the timing while the bike was running at idle?
    Yep. Apparently it was the straw that broke the camel's back for one of the pickup wires. Thank god the wire went before anything else stupid happened. You can see me doing this in the second video following repair of the wires. Thanks for letting me know that it's a bad idea.
    Last edited by SgtBaker; 08-17-2012, 02:25 PM.
    1980 XS-1100 SG

Comment

You probably should look around for a better set of pickup coils. With that many repairs in them they probably won't stay fixed very long.

Just sayin'
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

thats awesome, glad you fixed it. That bike looks really familiar.

I hope the bike has been good to you....I swear I had no idea the pick up wires would fail when i sold it to you..

I see you never put the windshield on. plz change your oil haha. do you want a trunk ? its black with a kitchen cab knob on it and black shag carpet inside.

im not a bike mechanic hahaha
        Last edited by Gallaecus; 08-17-2012, 02:40 PM. Reason: add
        Steven

1981 XS 1100 LH
        1979 XS 1100 SF

Comment

You gotta love it when a plan comes together !!!
          BTW - The pick up coil wires were also the first thing that came to mind.
          Happened to me on my G.
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            You probably should look around for a better set of pickup coils. With that many repairs in them they probably won't stay fixed very long.

Just sayin'
            That's coming this winter. I noticed that the new splices have become the bending points for the wire when the unit advances, so I expect they will fail in time.

Originally posted by GALLAECUS
            thats awesome, glad you fixed it. That bike looks really familiar.

I hope the bike has been good to you....I swear I had no idea the pick up wires would fail when i sold it to you..

I see you never put the windshield on. plz change your oil haha. do you want a trunk ? its black with a kitchen cab knob on it and black shag carpet inside.

im not a bike mechanic hahaha
            No worries man. I expect to have to work on a 32 year old bike As for the oil change, that's coming this week. I Didn't feel good about spending the 30 dollars for oil on a bike that seemed to be getting worse. With all the tuning and maintenance I've done to it to try and fix this problem, its running fantastic now.

The windshield was on for a while, but the light diffraction from its tiny scratches blinded me at night when approaching oncoming cars. I also have this worry that if I get thrown over my handlebars from hitting a car that pulls out in front of me, the windshield will really mess me up.

I presented you as a "bike mechanic" because I know you're competent enough to clean and reassemble carburetors, and that you work on bikes. If I had just said "previous owner" it might have made the problem harder to target by implying amateur work.

Lastly, I'm pretty happy with just the saddlebags. I had a trunk before and it threw off the appearance and the weight of the bike. Thanks though.

It was good to hear from you Steve.
            1980 XS-1100 SG

Comment

When I fixed one of my bikes, I extended the pickup coil wires so that I could form a loop inside the case. The short wires seem to cause more flexing and the loop made it less prone to do that. It has been working for years like that.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks skids. Did you use heavier gauge wire too?
                1980 XS-1100 SG

Comment

The wire HAS to be flexible sarge. I've heard that the lead wires for a cheap VOM work well.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    The wire HAS to be flexible sarge. I've heard that the lead wires for a cheap VOM work well.
                    That is exactly what I used (wires from the leads of a multi-meter). The thicker gage should work because they are stranded. It just has to allow free movement of the timing plate. It gets pretty hot in there and I know that there is stranded wire that has heat resistant insulation. That would be better yet. My insulation has not melted however.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                    X