No announcement yet.

final drive question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd use a spark plug because 95/4=23.75 HP per plug. Run a coil/wire back there and you might get the easiest 24 ponies anyone ever did on one of these.
    1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

just holding the drain plug up against a sparkplugs threads you can see the drain plug is a coarser thread so it is M14 x 1.5
      where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
      Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

How come no one has suggested getting a 750/850 FD and converting to the lower RPM the XS was made for? It would come with a new plug...

Oh Lord, what did I just do....
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Just replace the dern plugs with a 14mm chrome hex head one from TruValu or AceHardware and use the thick fiber gaskets in the adjoining trays! Howard, I know you KNOW these motors like rollin' down the road in the 5K range, besides I'm sure you get a handful of clutch and throttle gettin' up that concrete drive into the man-cave.....other than that, ain't bitin'............
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned that a standard hex head plug used for the fill plug on the final drive probably won't work. Due to the lack of clearance, it might not be possible to get a wrench/socket to fit over it.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              I'm suprised that no one has mentioned that a standard hex head plug used for the fill plug on the final drive probably won't work. Due to the lack of clearance, it might not be possible to get a wrench/socket to fit over it.
              Read my previous thread,........got them in both Phil. Look like they came stock too. Since they are nice shouldered plugs, two of the fiber washers is required for the final drive to accout for the recess as the shoulder part of plug interfers with the casting. Takes a 13mm wrench to remove or tighten.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                Read my previous thread,........got them in both Phil. Look like they came stock too. Since they are nice shouldered plugs, two of the fiber washers is required for the final drive to accout for the recess as the shoulder part of plug interfers with the casting. Takes a 13mm wrench to remove or tighten.
                Brant, good to know it will work that way, nice.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                  Please post when exact thread is found.

It was mentioned at MoM Rally that a spark plug would work. Maybe it had been forced in?

Thanks
                  John
                  I will also confirm that a spark plug WILL NOT work. Spark plug is 14x1.25 and the drain plug is 14x1.5. I just had my final drive fill plug out and measured and compared.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

done

I got the final drive filler plug replaced, I used a 14 x 1.25 drain plug, and it went just fine. A little hard to tighten Do to how close it was to the final drive houseing. So i use my grinder and made the wrench work
                    xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

no leaks

Forgot to mention sice isttallig the new plug have seen no more fluid leaking
                      xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X