final drive question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• final drive question

i was cleaning my bike yesterday and noticed that my final drive was leaking final drive oil out of the filler plug , and mine was alittle beat up, so i was wondering if anyone knew where i clould find a new one . here is a pic of it

xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Yamaha dealer, bring this part number with you, 90340-14046-00, or order it online. The part number for the crush washer is 214-11198-01-00, or use a washer off a spark plug.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey John,

That bolt is pretty much worn out...the allen head fitting, you might also want to look into getting a replacement....folks have gotten ones with hex heads for easier loosening and retightening, and a NYLON washer(yeah, that's what I meant, thanks skids) also can be a good seal. I'm thinking there's a tech tip that tells the thread size/pitch for that hole.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Use a nylon washer. It is the very best way of preventing headaches down the road!
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
        03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

I think threads match a spark plug I was told.

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

here are a couple options I found by google 14mm x 1.25 drain plug

SUZUKI 09248-10007 14mm x 1.25mm Magnetic oil drain plug head size=14mm

Ford Diesel - 14mm x 1.25 x 21mm - Magnetic Drain Bolt Fits 94-04 Ford Diesel Power Stroke.
            where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
            Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

If yer leakin' outta the filler hole then ya prolly have too much gear oil in the FD. But ya still wanna change out that beat-lookin' plug!

Comment

Most auto parts stores have hex head drain plugs 14mmx1.25 with a new washer for 4$ or less. I have them on mine makes oil changes easier.
                Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
                Current rides:
                80 XS1100SG
                82 JX1100
                83 Venture Royale
                86 V-Max

Comment

i dont think so

Originally posted by Shacknasty View Post
                  If yer leakin' outta the filler hole then ya prolly have too much gear oil in the FD. But ya still wanna change out that beat-lookin' plug!
                  i dont think that it has too much gear oil, i think it is coming out there because of the bumpy interstate here, and my bike does have a hardtail.
                  xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
                    i dont think that it has too much gear oil, i think it is coming out there because of the bumpy interstate here, and my bike does have a hardtail.
                    To quote Emily Latella, "Never mind."

Comment

thanks guys

just wanted to thank everyone for the help i am gonna get a new one at the auto parts store tomorow
                      xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

just checked it is NOT 1.25 (sparkplug thread) must be M14x1.5

Comment

Please post when exact thread is found.

It was mentioned at MoM Rally that a spark plug would work. Maybe it had been forced in?

Thanks
                          John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

I just welded a nut to the tops of mine works well and cheap

Comment

Well thats an idea.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X