No announcement yet.

XJR Tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could maybe ask on www.yamahaxjrownersclub.com and see what anyone has got on there.
    The thing with XJR's is that any spares that you want always cost an arm and a leg, i don't know why.
    I cut that subframe off a good complete frame, which cost me £80 the lot, and now i'm making an XJR cafe/single seater/bobber affair.
    A totally bent frame from a breakers yard would probably go straight into the recycle bin without so much as a look in for anyone else.
    But you never know, it all depends how keen you are.

Comment

Now I Want An XJR Again!!

Haha now that i have been to that site i could care less about the mod and i just want an XJR. AHHHHH!!!! Why dont they sell them here? Ill still probably go the other route. It will be alot cheaper.
      80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
      79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
      82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
      81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
      06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
      81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
      81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FJ111200 View Post
        As for looking tacky, natemoen, up yours with a big one.
        Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I know you put a lot of time and effort into it and can appreciate that. I personally just feel it needs a bit more massaging of the lines to be perfect.

The thing about it though is that it is your bike and as long as you are satisfied with it that is all that matters!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah, I guess he told you....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            Yeah, I guess he told you....
            Yeah......
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              Yeah......
              Yep.... bet you didn't realise the person responsible for the mods was out there, reading your unkind, harsh, critical and derogatory comments about his efforts...

I do think XJR side panels/airbox could be adapted fit... easier said than done though, perhaps....
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

You can almost guess that if you find a pic of an 11 on the web there is a strong possibility the owner is around this page once and a while. LOL
                81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Comment

I knew who's bike it was.

FJ does good work, those just happen to be my opinions of that one.
                  Last edited by natemoen; 07-17-2012, 04:49 PM.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

is there any way to fab it up to make it work, instead of the sport bike way canted up. just going straight back attached to the xs frame? im looking at it, and i recently adapted a chin fairing from a later model yamaha, not sure which atm, i would have to look, but its all fiberglass, and i simply drilled mounting holes in the fiberglass, and used pipe clamps around the frame, and bolted it straight to the chin fairing, it looks great and is on solid....i was looking at those xjr tails and it looks like i can make it work, giving the bike a different look for the rear....

im almost done with my current remodeling, should be only a few more days, this will be the second phse ive done, and the third that i knwo of, as i got it from the PO and hated the way he did it...ill post pics of the when i got it, after the rebuild, and the way it will sit when im done, im pretty happy with the way its coming along....sorry for the thread hack...lol
                    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
                    Moto Militia MC

Comment

Originally posted by FJ111200 View Post
                      The thing with XJR's is that any spares that you want always cost an arm and a leg, i don't know why.
                      Ha.. Tell me about it.. Cost me 140 bucks for a new brake lever after mine fell over in an earthquake, and broke it
                      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                        Ha.. Tell me about it.. Cost me 140 bucks for a new brake lever after mine fell over in an earthquake, and broke it
                        Ok, I don't want one so much now....
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well seeing as parts would be hard to find for this mod, I wonder what it would look like if i did the same thing with an R1 tail and frame? Any one have an oppinion on that?
                          81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Comment

Come on... they can be had for much less than that! You don't have to buy a solid gold one, do you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Leve...item45fbd66c37

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FRONT-...item1e68602a06

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-BRA...item563f09f180
                            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Needed one in a hurry, bike fell over on a Friday, Rally was on Saturday, so had to go with the genuine Yamaha part from the local dealer. Coulda waited a week and got a cheap copy, but then i woulda missed a rally, and had a cheap copy.
                              1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Needed one in a hurry, bike fell over on a Friday, Rally was on Saturday, so had to go with the genuine Yamaha part from the local dealer. Coulda waited a week and got a cheap copy, but then i woulda missed a rally, and had a cheap copy.
                                Yes, worth it not to miss the rally. There really is no difference between a "cheap copy" and a Yamaha spare, as far as a brake lever goes though. I've used several in the past on various bikes and the quality of them is every bit as good as OEM. I wouldn't want anyone to be put off buying one of these great bikes, just because of the cost of an OEM brake lever!

Comment

Working...
                                X