XJR Tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJR Tail

I know i have posted this picture before but i love the look of this bike.

What im asking is "How hard would if be to come up with a tail piece and seat from an XJR and what would if cost me?"

I have already located a 6 gal tank that i would use and there are handle bars all over Ebay.

Can anyone help me out with a little imput?

80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
    79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
    82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
    81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
    06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
    81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
    81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Originally posted by GTXS1100 View Post
    What im asking is "How hard would if be to come up with a tail piece and seat from an XJR and what would if cost me?"
    You'll have to buy it out of Europe as they were never sold here, so whatever the parts cost would be plus some probably rather expensive shipping...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

It depends what you mean by "expensive" re shipping. The bit you're after doesn't weigh much at all... I took mine off the other day to mess around. It would travel ex-UK at small packet rate. I can get one for you and send it to you if you want!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...iring&_sacat=0

I bet the XJR side panels could be made to fit too.....
      Last edited by James England; 07-16-2012, 05:03 PM.
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

He wants the seat too....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

oops... and the grabrail..... and the light
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

hey james, i want one! that would look pretty cool on my project...pm me if u can find one...
            79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
            Moto Militia MC

Comment

Originally posted by GTXS1100 View Post
              It could look good but this one has such a disjointed transition from the old to the new it makes It look a bit tackey.

The big gap between the side cover and the seat.

The tail sort of overlaps the side cover.

The top line of the side cover and the bottom line of the tail just don't fit together and really ruin it.

Could be done but needs more massaging!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

With some messing about, I reckon it would be possible to use XJR seat/tail, side panels and airbox......possibly.........

Comment

Yeah James I figured you could help me out. I love the look of the sport bike tail on an 11. I would also need a seat with it as well. What do you think the cost would be for me to have you pick one up off Ebayuk and ship it to me. I could send the money threw pay pal like i did for the bearing i recived from you. Let me know what you think.
                  81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Comment

That's my bike, and to get the tail and seat to fit you will need the rear subframe aswell, which is welded onto the XS rear rails, which were shortened.

As for looking tacky, natemoen, up yours with a big one.

Comment

Build thread?

FJ111200 I love the bike and i think it is awesome! I found it by acedent doing a google image search. Nice work. You have a thread of the build? I would like to see it step by step if you have it.
                      81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Comment

Glad you like it GT, i do aswell.
                        Unfortunately i didn't do a write up or take any pictures of the step by step progress, just hit and hoped really, and it turned out alright.
                        Another thing that i had to do to get the seat to fit was to cut the front of it off, it just won't work without.
                        Also, and this is a nice addition, it's running with XJ1100 pick up coils, TCI unit and carbs, but omitting the boost/pressure unit. A few of us on the UK forum, Tom and Miti, discussed a way of wiring it in to the standard UK wiring loom, which is to me the pig, but after riding without it i decided it didn't need it.
                        It's a bit frightening that you did a google search and found it that way,
                        but it also can't be that much of a bad looker or else it wouldn't have been included in the US forum calendar.
                        I posted some bits to a bloke in Michigan the other month, via Royal Mail, and the box only weighed 7kilo's but the price was £75, so do a conversion and decide if it's worth buying the stuff to do it. As i say, you really need the rear subframe aswell, unless you know someone handy in fabrication.

Comment

Can you take off the tail plastic and seat? Can you send a pick of what you had to do to the frame? Im very interested in doing this to my bike or one of my parts bikes. All that is really stopping me is comming up with the money.
                          81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Comment

Jeez, you don't want much do you? I'm not taking the tail plastic off, too much mither.
                            First picture is the welded on XJR subframe. It's got a strip of metal on each side at the front section, and one on each side at the rear, to give the right height for the seat so that it's like the XJR.
                            The second picture is the cut off XS frame rails, which are plugged to stop water getting in.
                            You'll need the XJR grab rail unless you fill the tailpiece where it goes.
                            The tail light i couldn't get to work using standard XJR/FJ bulbs, don't know why, so i fitted LED's into the XJR lens.
                            That's it.

Comment

Thanks so basicly im going to need the entire tail off the back of an xjr? Well that just made the price of my project go way up. How often do you guys see wrecked xjrs for sale over there? What would it cost me for you or James to acuire all the pieces i would need to do this mod? And shipping on top of that?
                              81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Comment

Working...
                              X