No announcement yet.

Is my speedometer wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have a buddy pace you with a car, use hand singles for differnt speeds. like 25, 35, 45, 55, 60,65, 70. Also if you have a smart phone you can use a speedo app. I have Speedview on my razr. it is free and was dead on when I tested it agaist my car's speedo. Then you will know if and how much your speedo is off.

Comment

Ok, I was way off, sorry. That was in 4th gear I was recalling. Been so long since I rode the beast due to wheel rubbing and a miss that I forgot.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood2 View Post
        I would have a buddy pace you with a car, use hand singles for differnt speeds. like 25, 35, 45, 55, 60,65, 70. Also if you have a smart phone you can use a speedo app. I have Speedview on my razr. it is free and was dead on when I tested it agaist my car's speedo. Then you will know if and how much your speedo is off.

I've got an android phone and just downloaded Speedview. Great idea, I never thought of doing that. I will just have to figure out a way to secure the phone to the tank (or ride with it in my hand, without wrecking).
        1979 Special with 1980 motor and 1979 carbs

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          You got a cable for a standard. The special cable attaches to the drive on the wheel differently, with a tab and a bolt.

Your speedometer might very well be wrong, jwhughes3 has one thats 15 or 20 MPH slow. When his reads 60 he's doing about 75 or 80
          I didn't ever think that a standard and special cable would be different. My bike has the stock,round 160mph speedometer, and I assume it's the original one but I've only had the bike for a year or so. Also, I don't know if it's ever been opened or tampered with before.

What would also be convenient is to find one of those unmanned police radar units they usually setup near construction zones that show your speed to warn you to slow down. But I live in a rural area and we almost never see those around here.
          1979 Special with 1980 motor and 1979 carbs

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyL View Post
            - - - Today in a 55mph zone I felt like I was going 55-60 but my speedo reported 45mph. - - -
            >
            Hi Jeremy,
            my experience with XS series speedos is that the odometer readings stay right but the speed reading tends to get slow as they age so yes, your speedo may be wrong.
            If yours has been opened by a PO there will be pry marks on the back of the bezel, those speedos are a swine to open & re-seal.
            Easiest way to check the speedo's accuracy is to use a GPS, most of those have an MPH readout and will do the odometer check too.
            Last edited by fredintoon; 07-16-2012, 09:24 AM.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

off by 5mph

I checked my speedo with my GPS and it is telling me it is off (high) by 5mph. Ant suggestions on how to correct? It has never been apart.
              Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Suggestion: Realize it is high by 5 MPH and learn to adjust it in your head. Not much else you can really do IMO.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Larger front tire, 110/90/19 Shinko will correct the speedometer ratio on the 79 Special. It's a tight fit to the fender but it works fine and looks awesome. Not sure if it will fit an XJ.
                  Last edited by bikerphil; 07-23-2012, 04:39 PM.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

be careful with using those unmanned police speed signs sometimes they hook up camera calibrated units to them and then you got a ticket.
                    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                    1980 G Silverbird
                    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                    1198 Overbore kit
                    Grizzly 660 ACCT
                    Barnett Clutch Springs
                    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                    122.5 Main Jets
                    ACCT Mod
                    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                    Antivibe Bar ends
                    Rear trunk add-on
                    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Hey Jeremy,

As stated, you don't want to go into the speedo case, a real PITA! Do a search, I've read a few posts where folks have spritzed oil or such into the speedo in specific locations to help lubricate the works without getting it onto the glass and such. Sounds like the grease may have gotten aged and stiff/sticky and so the needle can't swing up as far as it's supposed to. One thing I've also learned is that when in 3rd gear, the tach/rpm is almost exactly the same as the speed!

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I had a situation with my odometer where every seond or third tiem it woudl switch tens it would switch the hundreds also. I was getting three to five hundred miles on a tankful!!

I di dopen up the speedo case, it is a PITA. Cleaned it all out, sprayed it out with carb cleaner in there, then sprayed it with WD40 to lubricate it all nicely. Then put it all back together. Should have taken the time to repaint the ring before reinstalling though. It works perfectly now, but I am not certain that would be as effective on the speedo part.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                          Larger front tire, 110/90/19 Shinko will correct the speedometer ratio on the 79 Special. It's a tight fit to the fender but it works fine and looks awesome. Not sure if it will fit an XJ.
                          Yeah, but then the odometer is off. If it's that important to have the speedometer right on I'd spend the money at a calibration shop and have them open and calibrate it, they have the technology to make it right on, but it will cost.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Cy, my odometer is off by 1/10 a mile every 2 miles, no biggie. I would personally rather have the speed correct.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

My speedo is 2 to at least 5 mph high. I only check up to 80 mph though, and it gets progressively farther off the faster I go.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X