Is my speedometer wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my speedometer wrong?

I took my XS out for a ride today and had just put a new ebay Motion Pro speedo cable on. The old cable wouldn't stay in the housing so I rode without a speedometer. The bike I had before the XS was a CBR 600 and I had a problem of misjudging my speed by thinking I was going slower than I really was. I would be crusing along at 70mph thinking I was doing the 50mph limit. I am wondering if my speedometer is wrong or if I am having the opposite problem on this bike. Today in a 55mph zone I felt like I was going 55-60 but my speedo reported 45mph. When I would take it up to a reported 70 I felt like I was going 90! Maybe its the lack of fairings and a windshield that makes it feel faster?

I noticed in 5th gear I was going a reported 45mph or so at exactly 4000rpm. Is that about right? Feels wound pretty tight for only 45 but I know everyone says these bikes are geared low. I am not really complaining but just trying to figure out if my speedo is off so I dont get get a ticket for going 15mph faster than I think I am doing.
    1979 Special with 1980 motor and 1979 carbs

rate of speed

Using the mile markers on the highway, time yourself from one to the next.
    Marker to marker in 60 seconds is 60 mph.
    LuckyEddie
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
    1982 XV750J Virago
    1976 GL1000
    1978 GL1000 Supercharged
    1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

The speedos on these bikes are very likely to be off, but 4k at about 45 in 5th is about right. 5k should be about 70 MPH in 5th gear.

MY first XS was off by about 5 MPH.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Actually 4k should be about 55 or 60 with the stock FD. 4k is 70 with the 850 FD on mine and 4th with it is aproximately the same as 5th stock and 4k in 4th on mine is aproximately 60.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

On mine 4k in 5th is about 60mph.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

4K about 60 in 5th gear 1980 G
            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
            1980 G Silverbird
            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
            1198 Overbore kit
            Grizzly 660 ACCT
            Barnett Clutch Springs
            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
            122.5 Main Jets
            ACCT Mod
            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
            Antivibe Bar ends
            Rear trunk add-on
            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Well I was just GUESSING that 4000RPM in 5th was more like 60mph instead of the indicated 45mph. There's a heavily policed stretch of highway I was riding on and almost everyone always goes 55-60mph and when I was going an indicated 45mph everyone else was staying about the same speed as me. I thought either my speedo is wrong or everyone is going slow today for some reason.

Could it be the cable? The ends looked just like it had a square piece on each end so I wouldn't think the cable could change the rate that the speedometer worked. One thing though, my old cable slid into the speedometer unit on the rim and then bolted on to keep it in place. The new one had screw-on fittings on each end so, to tide me over, I just pushed the end into the speedometer housing on the RIM and ziptied it to stay in place. It's stayed in place for about 100 miles. Could my speedometer cable housing on the rim be the wrong part or did I get the wrong speedo cable?
              1979 Special with 1980 motor and 1979 carbs

Comment

Jeremy, you've been supplied a cable for a standard with both ends having the knurled nuts on them. The specials have the bolt type end to fit onto the speedo drive unit.
                Unfortunately, the difference in cables won't alter the speedo reading. Is it the original speedo??
                79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

You got a cable for a standard. The special cable attaches to the drive on the wheel differently, with a tab and a bolt.

Your speedometer might very well be wrong, jwhughes3 has one thats 15 or 20 MPH slow. When his reads 60 he's doing about 75 or 80
                  Last edited by BA80; 07-15-2012, 06:49 PM.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I was just about to admit to that

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

And the 160mph speedo I got from ya is 15mph fast... It had already been opened up.
                      Could be a good thing though Eh?!
                      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
                        And the 160mph speedo I got from ya is 15mph fast... It had already been opened up.
                        Could be a good thing though Eh?!
                        Hahahaha..........maybe you won't get a speeding ticket next time Richard....ha ha ha ha
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Well I didnt open it...what can change to make it off so much?

John
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

If the needle was removed or replaced it probably got putback on in the wrong position. The needle broke off of mine the other day and without the needle there to hit the stop at 0 it drops quite a ways below.

Sorry about the pic, it is dark and the flash glares.

And this one read abou 5MPH fast before.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I had a friend with a Ninja whose spedo said 135 when you were only doing 120......
                              80 G, Spaghetti pipes, K&N in stock airbox, Galfer S/S lines.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. -Abraham Lincoln

http://80xselevenrebuild.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X