Vibrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibrations

I am getting a really annoying vibration through the rear engine mount bolt. I don't think that it is actually coming from the engine though. Before I put the floorboards on my right peg vibrated pretty good at highway speeds and the left peg vibrated less but still an annoying amount, BUT if I put just a slight amount of pressure on the rear brake pedal (not enough to actually apply the brakes though) the vibration would go away. Now with the floorboards the vibration is worse and I cannot make the vibration go away with the brake pedal like before.

First off, I have never felt that my rear brake spring was correct so if someone had a pic of how that spring is supposed to be installed that would be great!

Second, if anyone has any ideas on other things to look at that would be splended.

Third, Not a huge fan of how I need to have the brake pedal and the downshifting side of the heel toe shifter so if anyone had any ideas on how to modify those things that would be great. And if anyone had a bent up brake pedal and shifter that would be great, I really only want to splined portion so that I can play around and try and make some controls that might fit better.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
    I am getting a really annoying vibration through the rear engine mount bolt. I don't think that it is actually coming from the engine though. Before I put the floorboards on my right peg vibrated pretty good at highway speeds and the left peg vibrated less but still an annoying amount, BUT if I put just a slight amount of pressure on the rear brake pedal (not enough to actually apply the brakes though) the vibration would go away. Now with the floorboards the vibration is worse and I cannot make the vibration go away with the brake pedal like before.

First off, I have never felt that my rear brake spring was correct so if someone had a pic of how that spring is supposed to be installed that would be great!

Second, if anyone has any ideas on other things to look at that would be splended.

Third, Not a huge fan of how I need to have the brake pedal and the downshifting side of the heel toe shifter so if anyone had any ideas on how to modify those things that would be great. And if anyone had a bent up brake pedal and shifter that would be great, I really only want to splined portion so that I can play around and try and make some controls that might fit better.
    Might pop that boot off the middle drive and check the u-joint for side and end play in the needle cups.....
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

U-joint is still in good shape.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Sounds like the u-joint to me also Nate. Tod had the same kind of vibration and didn't figure it out until it was too late.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

And the vibration would go away when he pressed the brake pedal......

Also, why would the vibration be more pronounced on the opposite side of the bike, high next to the brake pedal...
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            And the vibration would go away when he pressed the brake pedal......

Also, why would the vibration be more pronounced on the opposite side of the bike, high next to the brake pedal...
            You should ask him these questions. I'm just sayin'.

If the rear brake changes it it is most definitly in the rear drive and the most likely sources are the driveline or rear wheel bearings.

He just explained it as a weird vibration, kinda like you.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Well did some investigating and noticed that the bottom of the plunger rod assembly was touching the exhaust. Got that fixed and everything adjusted and that seemed to git red of about 80% of the vibrations. Now I can only feel it on the right side. It might just be the floorboards, don't know.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
              X