No announcement yet.

ballast resister missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

depending on how long the bike has been sitting, you might want to spend some time cleaning all connectors, and probably update your fuse box (TC sells one for about 10 USD)...BTW worked great for me, made a huge difference in voltage to TCI....
    Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Yeah thanks for the reply, I did all that couple weeks ago. that's how i found out how badly the harness had been sliced and diced. lol. Lots of twisted together wires wrapped in tape etc. When i got the bike it had no fuse panel at all just the fuse holder ends taped together. I'm really amazed it didn't burn before now. I removed the carbs and have them soaking in cleaner, Ill rinse and blow dry them after work, they were full of rust as is the tank. Good times!

Comment

The '81 bikes didn't have the ballast resistor (first year it was deleted),

Just another question, if the '81 model didn't use the ballast resistor should i be replacing the junk coils with 3 ohm type. At the moment it obviously has 1.5 ohm coils on it. The PO could have put the wrong ones on for all i know. Which type will give me a better spark. Thanks. Vic

Comment

Originally posted by Wrench Twister View Post
          The '81 bikes didn't have the ballast resistor (first year it was deleted),

Just another question, if the '81 model didn't use the ballast resistor should i be replacing the junk coils with 3 ohm type. At the moment it obviously has 1.5 ohm coils on it. The PO could have put the wrong ones on for all i know. Which type will give me a better spark. Thanks. Vic
          Yes, you need the 3 ohm. Running the 1.5 ohm coils will burn up your TCI...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Looks like these have been with the bike for a long time. I hope the TCI is ok. Are these TCI's hard to find or are there aftermarket replacements to be had that are plug and play. Will the tests results be the same from the secondaries on both types? Thanks for the info. Vic

Comment

Working...
            X