No announcement yet.

XJ Thoughts... Separate Tech Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think some are reading more into this than I intend. It's certainly not my intent to separate the XJ from the XS bikes, but to simply put the handful of tech tips that only apply to the XJ in one place rather than having to search through the various forums, or that may cause confusion for a XS owner. When I can find time, I want to post some electrical tips for the XJ (which is a lot different electrically compared to the XS) as well as any other 'XJ only' items I see as I rebuild mine. As a side benefit, I see XJ owners likely reading those tips that are separate and educating themselves about their bikes.

I'm just trying to make it easier for XJ owners to find that info...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

So is it going to be a separate locked section in the tech tip areas or an open forum?
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate, I'll post any tech tips in the open forum first... then move them to a closed XJ-only tech forum. We don't need a separate XJ open forum...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          Nate, I'll post any tech tips in the open forum first... then move them to a closed XJ-only tech forum. We don't need a separate XJ open forum...
          Ok, I think that is where the confusion is. It sounded like you wanted to make a new open forum for the XJ only.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Like it

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            I think some are reading more into this than I intend. It's certainly not my intent to separate the XJ from the XS bikes, but to simply put the handful of tech tips that only apply to the XJ in one place rather than having to search through the various forums, or that may cause confusion for a XS owner. When I can find time, I want to post some electrical tips for the XJ (which is a lot different electrically compared to the XS) as well as any other 'XJ only' items I see as I rebuild mine. As a side benefit, I see XJ owners likely reading those tips that are separate and educating themselves about their bikes.

I'm just trying to make it easier for XJ owners to find that info...
            I think this is a good idea for all the reasons you state...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
              I think this is a good idea for all the reasons you state...
              Now that I understand what you are attempting to do I also agree that it is a good idea. I was not trying to rain on your parade. I simply did not want to see any segregation of the XJ vs XS on the site. I support what you are trying to do.
              2-79 XS1100 SF
              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Steve,
                I think your idea for an XJ section is a useful one. I just restored my J from the ground up and would have benefited from more model specific information. I'm lucky to have a factory service manual, yet there are tips I picked up from the general tech forum which helped tremendously. If you step back and look at it, once you install the YICS Eliminator, it's just another XS11 engine and drive train. And I would underscore, the principal differences are electrical, suspension, and braking. And even with that, there are so many similarities in execution and concepts that it's pretty much a symbiotic situation. Still, it would be helpful to have separate "section" for J-specific information to make searches more effective and make it easier to find what you need.
                I don't know.... I'm just saying....
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

XJ 1100 Maxim

I am in favor of anything to promote and help owners with these fabulous machines. I now own TEN 1982 XJ 1100 Maxims and ONE 1980 XS 1100 Midnight Special. Thank you all for what you fellows , and gals do here. O. k. Now it is time for me to go back to my "padded" room. LOL!

Comment

Ten !!! ???

A one year model in the US and you have TEN !!!! ????
                    No wonder your happy place is a padded room, dude.
                    No, really, how many are runners?? That's amazing, a true targeted collector perhaps.
                    I love the bike, the stiffer frame makes it a real joy to ride. My only biff is the stepped seat. I need to be able to shift my weight around and the cup of the seat prevents me from moving backward. Despite that, it's a very confortable riding and cruising bike.
                    It's a great performer............ after you eliminate the YICS.
                    Last edited by Cobia; 08-17-2012, 06:57 PM.
                    1980G Standard, Restored
                    Kerker 4 - 1
                    850 Rear End Mod
                    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                    Automatic CCT
                    1980GH Special, Restored
                    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                      the cup of the seat prevents me from moving backward. Despite that, it's a very confortable riding and cruising bike.
                      It's a great performer............ after you eliminate the YICS.
                      That's the reason I like the XJ seat! It keeps me in place so I can use my energy for other things.
                      "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

BTW, I agree with Steve, we need another source. Many times I tried to find something I knew was specific to the XJ and was told that there were too many threads and posts with XJ in them and that I needed to narrow it.
                        "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

XJ Tech Forum

It would probably help me out to have a separate XJ Tech section because the brakes on my '81 Midnight are the same as the XJ. My two cents...
                          Current Ride:
                          81 XS1100LH Midnight Special
                          Tkat Fork-Brace
                          Previously Owned:
                          79 XS750 Special

Comment

Working...
                          X