XJ Thoughts... Separate Tech Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Thoughts... Separate Tech Forum?

As I work through the pile of parts that's my XJ build, I'm finding that these really are a very different animal compared to an XS. Brakes, trim, all sorts of differences. I'm currently starting to sort out the electrical and have been intrigued by the changes Yamaha made there. No headlight relay, they used the start button to do the same thing. Some of the switches you can take apart and service, some you can't. I'm trying to document all the work so I can post at least some as tech tips, we'll see how that works out.

Anyway, is there any interest in having a separate 'XJ Only' tech forum? This would be for any XJ-specific fixes and/or mods and I'd probably lump everything into one forum in the 'repairs' tech forum. The idea is to have all the XJ-only stuff in one place (there likely won't be that much) so owners won't have to search as much.

Well, what say you?
    Yes! Less searching for info...
    59.26%
    NO, things are fine, but thanks!
    40.74%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by crazy steve; 07-01-2012, 10:12 PM.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

If it doesn't apply to the XS bikes it may simplify things to move it. Just make a place for the stuff that's peculiar to the XJ. There's XJbikes.com as well.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      ... Just make a place for the stuff that's peculiar to the XJ...
      That's the idea; rather than going through the various forums looking for XJ-specific info where that info does only apply to those bikes, put it in one place.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I like it...do it!
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Good idea. Do it. Easier for everyone and makes sense.... since you asked.....
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

As many of us have had experience with XJ's as well as XS's and there are so many similarities I will have to disagree. Once the Xj guys are singled out and sent to a seperate area for their bikes they will navigate away from here faster than you can imagine. They will all run to the XJ site and never look back.
            The most attractive thing about this site is the member participation. The knowledge behind that participation is not always correct but it does stir conversation and ideas. Any XS owner may have a suggestion that an XJ owner will need.
            Personally I think the worst thing that could happen to this site is to specialize it (for lack of better wording) and infere that XJ's are different than XS's.
            I know you are not trying to specialize anything but it becomes the first step of many! I say let the first and second gear fix be known as the same and let the knowledge of the community speak.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
              As many of us have had experience with XJ's as well as XS's and there are so many similarities I will have to disagree. Once the Xj guys are singled out and sent to a seperate area for their bikes they will navigate away from here faster than you can imagine. They will all run to the XJ site and never look back..
              I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I'm not segregating all 'XJ' info, just the repair/modification stuff that's strictly limited to that model. The last thing I'd do is send anybody to the XJ site as there the XJ11 is just one bike among many and a 'one of a kind'; it's got far more in common with the XS than it does with other XJs. But trying to use 'generic XS' info in a few places won't be particularly helpful (I'm going to try to work up an electrical troubleshooting guide for the XJ as there are significant differences there) and posting competing XS/XJ info in the same forums could be confusing for some. So rather than search through multiple forums/sub-forums for that specific XJ info, put those in one place....

'82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I'm not segregating all 'XJ' info, just the repair/modification stuff that's strictly limited to that model. The last thing I'd do is send anybody to the XJ site as there the XJ11 is just one bike among many and a 'one of a kind'; it's got far more in common with the XS than it does with other XJs. But trying to use 'generic XS' info in a few places won't be particularly helpful (I'm going to try to work up an electrical troubleshooting guide for the XJ as there are significant differences there) and posting competing XS/XJ info in the same forums could be confusing for some. So rather than search through multiple forums/sub-forums for that specific XJ info, put those in one place....
                Aren't we talking about an XJ specific section of THIS site rather than another site anyways for tech tips anyways rather than another site or discussion forum? I think that might be an item of confusion.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                  Aren't we talking about an XJ specific section of THIS site rather than another site anyways for tech tips anyways rather than another site or discussion forum?
                  Exactly....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    Apparently I was misunderstanding what you meant. I just did not want you to start another area such as "other bikes" or the "for sale" or "parts wanted" section to put the XJ's in.
                    I for one very seldom visit some of the catagories other than general discussion and repairs or the parts sections.
                    I quite frankly do not care if another members ride is anything from a harley to a lawnmower so I do not care what other rides a member has. I am on this site to be with fellows who know and admire or have knowledge of these bikes. I know when I want information on a Suzuki GS I do not ask here. Although the members are knowledgable they do not have that fire that a true GS lover has for getting it perfect.
                    Same as any XS or XJ owner will find here. Members who want to know and share with others who care. I was just worried that XJ's were going to be sorted into a smaller bin so the info available would be limited.
                    Sorry to have caused any confusion.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

FIX the search function

Comment

Originally posted by Irukandji View Post
                        FIX the search function
                        The search function is part of the software which is something only the programmers can fix not the operators. I understand what I think your problem is, there is no ability to search for a string of letters, it always searches for each word in your search string individually even if you put it in quotes unlike google.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                          The search function is part of the software which is something only the programmers can fix not the operators. I understand what I think your problem is, there is no ability to search for a string of letters, it always searches for each word in your search string individually even if you put it in quotes unlike google.
                          Sometimes I've used google to search with. I'd put the search string in quotes and add in xs11 and voila, the list of xs11.com pages is abound.

Like this: "speedo swap" xs11.com
                          Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                          The Green Monster
                          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                          Got him in '04.
                          bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                          Scarlet
                          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                          Got her in '11
                          Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                          Hugo
                          Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                          Cold weather ride

Comment

Well I just saved my 80 XS1100 with a nice set of XJ1100 carbs. They are internally the same with some minor jetting and enrichener lever/cable differences. Carbs are a VERY common trouble spot, so sometimes having both on one forum is not a bad idea

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                              Apparently I was misunderstanding what you meant. I just did not want you to start another area such as "other bikes" or the "for sale" or "parts wanted" section to put the XJ's in.
                              I for one very seldom visit some of the catagories other than general discussion and repairs or the parts sections.
                              I quite frankly do not care if another members ride is anything from a harley to a lawnmower so I do not care what other rides a member has. I am on this site to be with fellows who know and admire or have knowledge of these bikes. I know when I want information on a Suzuki GS I do not ask here. Although the members are knowledgable they do not have that fire that a true GS lover has for getting it perfect.
                              Same as any XS or XJ owner will find here. Members who want to know and share with others who care. I was just worried that XJ's were going to be sorted into a smaller bin so the info available would be limited.
                              Sorry to have caused any confusion.
                              See where your wanting to go with this Steve, but have to agree with Rasputin in this case, just because of the parralell differences in the XS models and years. The differences between the XJ's and XS's is actually no different than some dramatic differences between the 81H and ALL other year XS's, right down to metering rod configurations and numbers compared to same year Specials and any other XS model. Some of those differences are dramatic enough that interchangability is NOT an option without major mods.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X