strange oil leak ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange oil leak ...

so ive found a leak, dont know what it is though...its motor oil i believe, its coming from a 12mm bolt head directly under neath the timing cover on the left side of the bike....
    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

Take off your timing cover and see if it's a crank seal leaking.. or that oil galley plug underneath it.. and dripping down off that bolt.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

well, im learning as i go, but you have just stepped outside of my knowledge base...what am i looking for?
      79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
      Moto Militia MC

Comment

this is where the leak is coming from...my bad the pic is upside down...

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
        Moto Militia MC

Comment

as tod said, remove the timing cover,
          theres a seal that sits in the cases behind
          the pick up coils/timing plate, its more likely to be leaking
          from that seal than the bolt.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

just did a quick search
            heres a link with some pics and seal info.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=crank+seal
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Dont try tightening that bolt hust yet, I thought I just read another fella that tried tightening it and it snapped off... follow up with checking under the side cover for crank seal leak before anything. If the seal leaks it will drain out the bottom of that engine cover right at the bolt you think is leaking.

Idk, maybe your dealing with a different issue... someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Her was the thread...
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37286
              Last edited by WMarshy; 07-01-2012, 07:55 AM.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

It's very tough sometimes to find out exactly where an oil leak is coming from, not just where it ends up. I've seen oil leaks where you speak of by the valve cover leaking into the middle of the head by spark plug #2, then wind pushing it back through the cooling fins where it drips on cylinder cooling fins. With the motor angled forward, this lets the oil end up dripping from the FRONT of the motor, or down there by that bolt by dripping off the carb boot.

Anyway... from your pic, I can't tell which bolt you are refering to. Is it the galley plug with the white arrow, or one of the other two bolts in red?

Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

IF you go to the effort of replacing the crank seal behind the timing plate, I woudl also replace the o-ring seal of that bolt. Can't hurt anything. And yes, this is one of those places where a torque wrench is your friend. Applying the proper torque will ensure a good seal, and not cause a broken bolt.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                  X