1st gear clunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st gear clunk

When ever I start the bike up in neutral and let it idle and then try to put it in first gear I get a big clunk. Sounds like the trans will come out the bottom. Is this normal or is there a better trick when going from neutral to first. If I shut the bike off and put it in gear, that works.
    79 XS1100F

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

It's normal. You'll find the clunk is louder when the oil is cold. I usually let mine run for a minute or two to warm up the oil and then engage 1st gear. In cold weather mine put out a huge clunk and tried to move....the cold oil was making the clutch drag...mind you it was minus 10 at the time.

You may find that sometimes there's hardly any clunk at all. Other times there is. I could never figure out why. All 4 of my XS1100's have done it.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

If your idle speed is higher than 1100 RPM, the clunk will be greater, try a slightly lower idle speed. Also, hold the clutch in for about 5 sec. before shifting into first.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

+

the XS def has a noisy 1st gear clunk, esp with the choke on and 1500-2000 rpms. like James said, sometimes its fine. its been buggin me forever cause i dont get it. if u take off quickly after first start and warm it up while riding like i do in the riding season, just start it up in gear with the clutch disengaged, take off and let the oil warm up. when i get it on the street after take off and theres no stop signs, i push the choke detent in to 1/2 cause mine doesnt want to stop with clutch engaged and a full choke. mine seems to shift smoother after i put Mobil 1 Air Cooled Engine 20W50 in it this year. just my exp. i dont want to start the oil debate, but it works for
        me
        Last edited by mjpxs11sh; 06-23-2012, 08:40 PM.
        Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
        Kerker 4/1
        stock carbs and air box.
        78 headlite, handle bars,
        1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
        crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
        78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
        94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

both my XS and XJ do it warm or cold. Both bikes are a bit noisey going from 3rd to 4th as well. Kinda fells like you are shifting your foot through a box of wrenches. I always chuckle cause I know where I am.
          1970? Honda Z50... gone
          1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
          1974 Honda CB200... gone
          1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
          1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
          2008 Honda VTX 1800F
          1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
            both my XS and XJ do it warm or cold. Both bikes are a bit noisey going from 3rd to 4th as well. Kinda fells like you are shifting your foot through a box of wrenches. I always chuckle cause I know where I am.
            It's where the term "shifting like a Russian tractor" comes from, that being what these bikes are characterized as shifting like. That said, other than the 1st gear clunk, once you get good at engine speed matching, you can get to where all the other shifts are pretty smooth and noiseless.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
              same here, 1-3 and 3-4 are noisy but 2-3 and 4-5 are always smooth.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If your bike sat for a long time, the clutch plates may be unsaturated with oil. If this is the case, things will get a little better with riding the bike, especially if you leave it in 1st gear at red lights with the clutch pulled.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Pull the clutch lever in and tie it open with a cable tie or bit of string. Spin the engine and leave it for a few hours. Oil will get bewteen the plates and soak in a bit
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                  X