yet another carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another carb question

ok, so i have gotten my carbs to the point were i can ride the bike whenever, but there is still too much hesitation in the low rpms. i tried adjusting the idle mixture screws, but if i go any lower than 3 1/2 turns from seated, the bike won't start or run. now it has a nice idle, but won't rev up easily until it hits about 4k rpms. if i put the choke on, the bike dies (i assume from too much gas) under load the problem is a bit worse, but not so bad that i can't ride. (also, under load at about 7-8k rpms, it slows a bit too) btw, i have mikes xs oval pod filters (oiled) and harley sportster muffs on stock headers (no cat converters) so my question is, what do you think the problem is? wrong float height? pilot jets? main jets? just need to be tuned with a gauge? all electrical and mechanical is good too...
    1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
    progress thus far...
    http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMAG0202.jpg

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

With the PODs and the exhaust you have, typically stock jetting will work.

HERE is a link to carb tuning process. It may help you out.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Shockman54 View Post
      but there is still too much hesitation in the low rpms.
      now it has a nice idle, but won't rev up easily until it hits about 4k rpms. under load the problem is a bit worse, but not so bad that i can't ride. (also, under load at about 7-8k rpms, it slows a bit too) btw,...
      Just a thought ...... What size Pilot Jet are you using?? Are you sure the Pilot Jet is not clogged?? Diagnosis that: Idles ok but does not Rev to 4K very well might indicate clogged pilot jet or circuit. Also, did you do bench sync the carbs?

If you are 100% sure the pilot jets / circuit are clean & clear then the tuning guide DGXSER provided should either fix the problem or eliminate pilot circuit as the issue.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

DGXSER, thats a great guide, definitely going to use that site. has anyone used their products before? if so, what jets are the ones we use? i'm not seeing exactly which kind to order (i can figure out the sizing, just not which actual parts to get)
        1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
        progress thus far...
        http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMAG0202.jpg

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

Comment

_

id go thru the carbs and keep the stock parts fist and get it running right b4 making any changes. anyway, thats where i started otherwise u may be chasing gremlins in a vicious circle. if u want to change jets for whatever reason, stay with mikuni oem.
          Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
          Kerker 4/1
          stock carbs and air box.
          78 headlite, handle bars,
          1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
          crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
          78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
          94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

Working...