No announcement yet.

Question about Big Bore kits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't have to pull the jugs, just the head. Find one at bdc and measure depth and diameter and calculate volume.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

Well,

The Wiseco Big bore kits used Cometic type head gaskets...silver colored material...think it was Asbestos or such, but not dense fiber/cardboard type. Not sure how hard/easy it would be to pick at the edge of the head gasket on the outside of the engine to see what it's made of, but if it's not the brown dense fiber material, but more greyish that might give him a hint that it has a non-oem style head gasket.

As for keeping the oil mess down, you can take an old spark plug, break out the center electrode...try to leave some of the ceramic insulator in place, so you could attach a hose to it, screw it into the plug hole, then you have a TUBE to collect the oil back into a container.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
        You don't have to pull the jugs, just the head. Find one at bdc and measure depth and diameter and calculate volume.
        Yeah, your right about just the head. But, you would just have to measure the cylinder diameter to see if it's been bored. The depth, or piston travel, wouldn't matter unless the crank had been changed.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          pull the jugs and measure.
          Cracking that bottom gasket can a headache though. On one really rough, scrap engine I had last year, I tried to remove the cylinders. I tried everything! Since the engine was truly ruined and therefore nothing lost, I used a crowbar... without success. Then I lay a block of wood on the already broken fins and hit it with an 8lb sledgehammer. Then an electric heat gun. I could not remove them.

I'm glad I tried though as it made me realise that pulling the jugs off is something I'd prefer to avoid. How does everyone else manage it???
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Hey James,

It's been a long time since I pulled my jugs off, but they weren't that hard to get off. I think I used a thin putty knife or such to help break apart the gasket material. Perhaps the one you got ahold of had been worked on before and some extra strong sealant or such had been used on the previous assembly vs. the OEM?

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
              I'm glad I tried though as it made me realise that pulling the jugs off is something I'd prefer to avoid. How does everyone else manage it???

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...193#post357193
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post

Made this up and it works every time with no damage...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35427
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own