Question about Big Bore kits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Big Bore kits.

When I got my 1979 xs1100sf, i was told about it from the previous owner, he had sold it to a friend, he also informed me that it had been bored over by the PO to him, that person I'm sad to say has gone to cruise with the lord.
    So my question is this, is there a way to tell what it has been bored to without taking the motor apart and measuring the pistons.
    Also, when these were bored, what was the standard sizes for bore kits at the time?
    He claims it was bored to 1300cc, but that sounds a little high to me.

Damian
    If it's worth doing, It's worth overdoing!
    Ride it like you stole it, or get out of my way.
    Don't worry if others don't like it, if you like it just smile and ride!

1979 XS1100SF w/ Flanders "Superbike" Handlebars,
    Upcoming mods include but not limited to, ZRX Carbs, 4-1 exhaust, and a gun fighter single seat, lots of paint, chrome and powder coating.

1300 is near imposible without MAJOR redoing of about everything and custom made pistons.

1179 and 1196 are the two available big bore kits.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have heard of these being bored to 13 but it requires a lot of expensive machine work and parts.

The largest these can be oversized to with stock jugs is 1196 the next step down is 1179. I believe the 1196 is 3mm over stock, not sure what the 1179 is.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

not worth it

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        1300 is near imposible without MAJOR redoing of about everything and custom made pistons.

1179 and 1196 are the two available big bore kits.
        sounds like almost not worth the trouble to go from 1100 to 1179 or even 1196.
        If it's worth doing, It's worth overdoing!
        Ride it like you stole it, or get out of my way.
        Don't worry if others don't like it, if you like it just smile and ride!

1979 XS1100SF w/ Flanders "Superbike" Handlebars,
        Upcoming mods include but not limited to, ZRX Carbs, 4-1 exhaust, and a gun fighter single seat, lots of paint, chrome and powder coating.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Damian View Post
          sounds like almost not worth the trouble to go from 1100 to 1179 or even 1196.
          If you're looking for a big power increase, it's not....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

So does anyone have a correct reply for this question? I know I am interested because I have a bike that is reported to have a big bore kit in it and I would love to know before I start work on it. I have no answer for it but many members may have experience with this issue that can pipe in.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
              So does anyone have a correct reply for this question? I know I am interested because I have a bike that is reported to have a big bore kit in it and I would love to know before I start work on it. I have no answer for it but many members may have experience with this issue that can pipe in.
              Well, not exactly 'the' answer, but I can relay a method used by HD owners to tell if a bike has been bored... I'm not sure this will work here as the bore size increase isn't that much, but it might...

On a known stock-bore motor, pull number 1 or 4 spark plug. Turn the crank until you're at BDC (bottom dead center), or 180 degrees from TDC. Stick a long, thin rod in through the plug hole and move it around until you've got the maximum length in the bore as measured to the top of the plug hole. Note this amount. Repeat this in your 'bored' motor; you should get a longer length if it's bored.

The Harley guys know which lengths corrospond to which bore sizes, but you're talking overbores of up to 13/16" on those so it's not hard to tell. A 3mm difference may not be enough to get an accurate measurement.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

To check cylinder size without strip down....

Remove spark plug.
                Wind to TDC.
                Fill cylinder full to plug hole with thin oil.
                Wind to BDC.
                Using a full 1/2 Litre measuring jug of same oil, fill cylinder to plug hole again.
                Subtract the amount of oil left in jug from 500cc (1/2L) to reveal cylinder size.

And multiply by 4 to get engine capacity (but I didn't need to say that did I LOL )

Tom

Tom
                1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Tom, I agree with the theory of your test, but wouldn't 'thin' oil run past the piston rings and 'leak by' thus throwing the reading off.
                  Wouldn't a heavier oil, like 20/50 work better and at the same time if any is left over, it's the same as the regular engine oil, so no harm done.
                  So, something like 300cc of oil would be ballpark.

Then the next question is how to get the oil out?
                  Turkey baster, miti-vac, shop vac?
                  Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                  The Green Monster
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                  Got him in '04.
                  bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                  Scarlet
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                  Got her in '11
                  Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                  Hugo
                  Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                  Cold weather ride

Comment

With the plug still out turn crank by hand one revolution.90% of oil should run out. Then crank with starter a couple revs, and the rest should blow out. Now reinstall plug.
                    BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
                    80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Daveyg, are you trying to be funny?
                      That would make a huge mess!
                      But it sure would look cool!
                      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                      The Green Monster
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                      Got him in '04.
                      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                      Scarlet
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                      Got her in '11
                      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                      Hugo
                      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                      Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        I have heard of these being bored to 13 but it requires a lot of expensive machine work and parts.

The largest these can be oversized to with stock jugs is 1196 the next step down is 1179. I believe the 1196 is 3mm over stock, not sure what the 1179 is.
                        RC engineering made 1220cc big bore kits in those days ...
                        XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                        MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                        Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                        Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                        Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                        Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                          Daveyg, are you trying to be funny?
                          That would make a huge mess!
                          But it sure would look cool!
                          Well u would want a big drain pan under the bike, and a rag or plastic draped over the head for the starter turnover, and once u reinstall the plug u might want to pressure wash the bike... u asked how to get the oil out... I told u how to get it out. Just trying to keep it simple.
                          BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
                          80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                            Tom, I agree with the theory of your test, but wouldn't 'thin' oil run past the piston rings and 'leak by' thus throwing the reading off.
                            Wouldn't a heavier oil, like 20/50 work better and at the same time if any is left over, it's the same as the regular engine oil, so no harm done.
                            So, something like 300cc of oil would be ballpark.

Then the next question is how to get the oil out?
                            Turkey baster, miti-vac, shop vac?
                            Yep you're right thicker oil would be less likely to run past the rings but if you get a move on it ain't an issue, thinner oil is used coz its easier to read the measuring jug than 20W/50. And if your thin oil pours past your rings I think you have bigger questions to ask than how big is my cylinder

And getting the oil out? I was gonna say ....Starter motor and duck

But seriously, I use a big medical syringe with a 6" piece of plastic pipe attached to suck the oil out.

Also, if you like you could drop some thicker oil onto the piston, just enough to seal the piston bore gap, then use water, a bit of the oil would float on the water but the surface tension of the water and the oily piston would hold the water above the piston, and its easier/cleaner to get out ......starter motor!!!

Tom
                            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Face it boys, the only way to really tell is pull the jugs and measure.
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X