calling all gurus, carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calling all gurus, carb question

So I pulled my carbs off because my bike wouldn't start. I figured things were probably just gunked up and messy. I took them apart and cleaned all the likely spots, then reassembled. It made no difference. My next suspicion was that some obscure little passages were clogged. So I dipped the whole carb bank in a chem bath, up to just below the diaphragms, and let it soak for a couple of days. I drained them, put them back on the bike and it started right up with no hesitation. But... the bike instantly revs up to 8000 rpm. I didn't adjust anything, the throttle is in the correct position, and the floats are working. I filled and drained the bowls four times thinking that maybe the chem bath was responsible, but it makes no difference. What the heck is going on?
    Casey
    1980 xs1100g "Frankenstein" (Now with a mind of his own!)

"What do you mean I can't park this thing here?"
    "Shiny side up? I don't have a shiny side."

Your throttle cable isn't seated properly or your linkage at the carbs is bound on something. Very possibly a boot clamp.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Boot clamp. brilliant! one boot clamp was out of position, but I left it there thinking it wouldn't matter too much. You sir are awesome! Thank you.
      Casey
      1980 xs1100g "Frankenstein" (Now with a mind of his own!)

"What do you mean I can't park this thing here?"
      "Shiny side up? I don't have a shiny side."

Comment

Maybe his idle setscrew is in too far.
        If it wasn't running well before, maybe the PO moved the idle up to compensate for the dirty carbs.

Bench sync those things first. (ie. make sure all 4 butterflies are just barely open) before putting them back on the bike.

Edit: I see that you figured it out. Great!
        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
        The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.
        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
        Scarlet
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
        Hugo
        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
        Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by cloerts View Post
          So I dipped the whole carb bank in a chem bath, up to just below the diaphragms, and let it soak for a couple of days.
          My concern is that you have soaked the carbs and the butterfly shaft seals in the chemdip....it eats up the seals, and you can get severe vacuum leaks that can also cause the vac. synch inbalance and unwanted revving!

I hope it was just the stuck cable, but just thinking out loud!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X