Throttle lock assembly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle lock assembly?

How does this thing go together? I need something so I can take my hand off every now and then!

It came with the bike when I got it a few years ago. It was not installed when I got it, just sitting in the fairing pocket.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

I believe the part sticking up in the right side of the photo slips into where the throttle cable housing bolts up. I'm sure you figured out the whole thing slides onto the throttle before the grip.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Yeah that much I assumed. Although it seemed that no matter what orientation I put the lock part on the ring it didn't seem to function right.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Hmmm, I will have to try again tomorrow.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Jets pic pretty much explains it. Either a phillips screw or allen adjust the 'squeeze' pressure and that lower slotted tab(looks like a rear gun site) wedges between the metal curve where throttle cable goes into housing to hold it stationary from rotating. Simple, takes bout 2min. to install and adjust, and work well, so good find.
            Last edited by motoman; 05-26-2012, 10:01 PM.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

hey nate,
              dont kno if it helps but heres
              an old pic of mine

pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

You want to have it loose enough so you can still twist the throttle
                91 kwaka kz1000p
                Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  How does this thing go together? I need something so I can take my hand off every now and then!

It came with the bike when I got it a few years ago. It was not installed when I got it, just sitting in the fairing pocket.
                  Looks like its missing the piece that anchors it to the throttle block. Mine as a formed sheetmetal piece that is attached with the linger screw under the throttle housing where the throttle cable exits. That piece is formed and the plastic part is held in place by that. Something has to hold the plastic part to the bars otherwise it will just rotate with the throttle
                  1970? Honda Z50... gone
                  1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
                  1974 Honda CB200... gone
                  1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
                  1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
                  2008 Honda VTX 1800F
                  1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
                  1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
                    Looks like its missing the piece that anchors it to the throttle block. Mine as a formed sheetmetal piece that is attached with the linger screw under the throttle housing where the throttle cable exits. That piece is formed and the plastic part is held in place by that. Something has to hold the plastic part to the bars otherwise it will just rotate with the throttle
                    The "fork" at the bottom will couple with the throttle cable gooseneck. This is what prevents the thing from rotating around. I have these on my xs11's. I believe they are Nepps brand. If that is what you have, when adjusted properly, there will be three positions:
                    One will allow the throttle to spring back normally,
                    another will be a "soft" position that takes some of the spring force off of your gloves,
                    and finally, a harder lock that completely holds the throttle in place whith your hand off of the grip.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                    03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Working...
                    X