No announcement yet.

Keihin CVK36 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The line is pretty clear on this picture.
    Gene (Florida)
    1980 XS1100SG
    Accel Coils
    4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Ok, going to get a cap.
      Gene (Florida)
      1980 XS1100SG
      Accel Coils
      4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

I'm getting way too much gas. It's dripping out of the bottom of the float bowl.
        Gene (Florida)
        1980 XS1100SG
        Accel Coils
        4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Dripping out of the float bowl? I don't understand... Nothing should drip "out of" the float bowl unless the float bowl gasket is leaking or the drain screw is not sealing.

Do you mean it is coming out the air intake side of the carbs? And running down so it appears to be dripping from the float bowl?

I know the Keihin CVK36 carbs well from having them on my ZRX. The float bowl needle seats are permanent in the carb bodies, so no o-rings to leak on the needle seats. If those carbs have sat dry for a long time, you really should unrack the carbs and replace all of the O-rings on the plastic tubes that connect the carb bodies together. In any case, those carbs are 15 to 20 years old now. You need to replace all the o-rings regardless for the least trouble down the line, IMO.

Assuming the o-rings have been replaced and they are not your issue, if you are leaking fuel either the float needle is not seating against the needle seat or a float is hanging up and drooling fuel out the air intake side of the carbs.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Thanks BONZ for your insight.

I spent the day on my new XJ1100 project. I used a little fuel bottle I picked up from Chaparral Motorsport's as a fuel supply. I'm not used to these carbs at all. I plugged all the vacuum ports ran fuel directly to the carbs. The fuel started dripping as soon as I opened the fuel valve. I don't have the stacks on yet so I can see, but I need some fresh eye's on it.

I got it running using the choke, but the fuel continued to drip.

Btw, is there any adjustments on the carb spacing? I got them in, but it took some work.

Thank you for the punch list. Once I pull the carbs I will keep you posted. I might have more questions. I really appreciate your help.
            Gene (Florida)
            1980 XS1100SG
            Accel Coils
            4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Really apologize for not responding when I first saw this.

Can you tell me or locate where the fuel is coming from?

When I envision leaking fuel FROM the float bowl, I see drain screws not sealing on the bottom or float bowl gaskets leaking. If you are talking fuel coming out the air intake side of the carbs, then I visualize a stuck float needle.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I'm traveling, but I will look at it again on Saturday. The throttle response was pretty good. I just need to figure out where all the gas is coming from.
                Gene (Florida)
                1980 XS1100SG
                Accel Coils
                4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

I dropped my 1980 XS1100 off at Blais Cycle and they are putting the ZRX1200 Carb I bought. I don't have time to do and these guys are good. I will let you guys know what the setup ends up being. They will dyno tune it this week.
                  Gene (Florida)
                  1980 XS1100SG
                  Accel Coils
                  4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Working...
                  X