Clutch slipping in 3rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
    Thanks TC, If i get off work on time today, i am going to do this. I was planning on riding to work today but not sure yet. If i have time before i leave, that would be a good time to do it so I could "test" it on the way to work.
    It will only take you about 15 mins to make an adjustment, test ride through a few gears and adjust again if needed... Take the box wrench and screw driver with you that way you can stop and make an adjustment on your way if needed... GL!
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I just looked at the weather and we have a flash flood watch, so i am not riding to work but i am going to still adjust it today. Thanks guys.
      Jeff
      77 XS750 2D completely stock
      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

In my opinion since it is near impossible to "feel" when you make contact and sync e the clutch is close I would suggest just loosening the lock nut and then back the center adjustment screw out 1/8 turn and then lock down the nut. Drive it and see if the slip is gone. Re adjust is needed and repeat till you are good and then.put the outer cover on again.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          In my opinion since it is near impossible to "feel" when you make contact and sync e the clutch is close I would suggest just loosening the lock nut and then back the center adjustment screw out 1/8 turn and then lock down the nut. Drive it and see if the slip is gone. Re adjust is needed and repeat till you are good and then.put the outer cover on again.
          Yup, I agree it is difficult to feel it and since your so close anyways it wont take very much. A 1/8th to a quarter turn would probably do ya. I recommend going in with the set screw, it will move the engagement point closer to the bar IIRC. Either way, your will know realy soon.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
            I recommend going in with the set screw, it will move the engagement point closer to the bar IIRC.
            Your thinking backwards on that Wade. Backing it off will make engagement earlier.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks for all you advice guys, i will find out in the morning. I dont have to work tomorrow. I am wondering if it has a little pressure on it all the time and slipping just a little bit all the time. I cant hear it and it has awesome power but i dont have a tach either.
              Jeff

Comment

When you are adjusting it there comes a point where you do not dissengage the clutch plates and it will intermittantly chatter and grip when handle is pulled all the way in. If you get to that point and the clutch still slips in third under full power and the felts and steels in basket are in good shape like mine now are buy new springs. Get Barnett springs cause many here complain about the EBC.
                To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                1980 G Silverbird
                Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                1198 Overbore kit
                Grizzly 660 ACCT
                Barnett Clutch Springs
                R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                122.5 Main Jets
                ACCT Mod
                Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                Antivibe Bar ends
                Rear trunk add-on
                http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Well, i adjusted it today and went to take it out and it seemed to be letting out in the same exact spot. went ahead and got on the highway and romped it in 3rd And it slipped. Its funny cause it dont slip until the higher rpms when the bike is already moving pretty fast. It seems like it would do it when the bike is going slower and it takes more torque to get it going. I only did it once though. But I downshifted from 4th to 3rd and shot to it and it took off like a rocket and was pulling good then rev up like i pulled in the clutch so i let off. I dont have a tach but couldnt feel it slipping before. It started pouring the rain on me. I need to adjust again though cause it was in the same spot as before it seems.
                  Jeff

Comment

It slips in the higher gears because the engine and clutch are working harder, just like it's harder to pedal a 10 speed bicycle in the higher gears.

Change the clutch springs.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yep, time for springs man. For about $40-45 you can get friction plates from Parts'n More.com; the combination of new friction plates and those Barnett springs are a winning solution. Especially if you are going to go through the trouble of taking apart your clutch pack to rough up your steel's with some sand paper, its worth replacing the frictions.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

Comment

I havent bought the springs yet, been too busy. Is there a way to shim the factory springs with a washer? I havent been in the clutch so i dont know what its like in there. I was thinking maybe i could rough up the steels and shim the springs and take it out today and see what happens.
                        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                          I havent bought the springs yet, been too busy. Is there a way to shim the factory springs with a washer? I havent been in the clutch so i dont know what its like in there. I was thinking maybe i could rough up the steels and shim the springs and take it out today and see what happens.
                          yep, u can use spark plug washers, u dont have to do
                          all 6, the last one i did i used 4 washers, doesnt make the lever so stiff,
                          but u need to put the washers opposite each other.
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots
                          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Thanks pete, i adjusted it again and also the po had zip tied the clutch cable the handlebars, It does better now but i think i will still get the springs and install later. The bike run so good today and yesterday, i think i have it all sorted out now, course i need a synch, it still has never been synched.
                            Jeff

Comment

Working...
                            X