I need a battery - HOLY CRAP! $100?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
    I do agree that AGM batteries are a waste of money.
    Never had a problem with an agm in anything, never had a problem with a wet cell though either, come to think of it I have never had a problem with a gel battery either...
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
      I do agree that AGM batteries are a waste of money.
      Not always. I also ride a XS650. It rattles apart a wet cell every season. The current AGM has been in there seven years or more. It is obviously more resistant to vibration than the wet cell. Of course, that isn't such an issue with the XS11.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        Not always. I also ride a XS650. It rattles apart a wet cell every season. The current AGM has been in there seven years or more. It is obviously more resistant to vibration than the wet cell. Of course, that isn't such an issue with the XS11.
        Interesting, the XS650SK I had did the same thing to a $45 lead/acid battery after 4 months. Bought an AGM for it too. Ended up selling it just over a month ago now.
        Richard

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          The agm setup is intended to be much more resistant to vibrations.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            The agm setup is intended to be much more resistant to vibrations.
            Yep, that's the claim, but I haven't seen evidence to support it...

I'm also on a Sportster list, and if there's a bike that needs vibration resistance, that's one of 'em. There was a big stampede over there to AGM 3-4 years ago, and they just didn't measure up. Most guys were only getting 2-3 years out of them (mine lasted 2 years), not good when the prior 'conventional' battery in mine went almost eight and cost less. That result was all-too-typical, with the longest I've heard of one lasting was five years. They claim they're 'better' but I just haven't seen it.

I've had by far the best luck with conventional batteries in the bikes. I do maintain them, maybe most owners don't, I dunno... I just know I won't buy another....
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by GTXS1100 View Post
              If you want to try and save your old battery make sure the water level is correct. There should be a line on the side of it with a mark like acid level or water level. You can pull the plugs on top of the battery and fill each cell with distilled water. Once each one is full i replug each one and charge it on a low amperage like Steve said 2amps or as low as your charger will go and i usualy leave it on there for at least 10 to 12 hours. If it doesnt work then i get a new one. This way all im out is my time and not my monney. But to each there own.
              I ended up doing this late last night (my father gave me this same advice/instructions) and giving it a good 16 hour charge. She fired right up today and more importantly keep starting almost immediately without any need to toss the charger on. Thanks everyone!

As an aside, I did go back to walmart and bought the battery TopCat suggested. It's sitting happily unopened in a dark corner of my garage. While I generally push my car batteries to around 8 years with the help of my trusty solar-powered trickle charger something tells me that after two years of UTTER neglect I've got another season or two (MAYBE three) with the battery currently in the XS. And when battery prices inevitably rise I will be laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                Oh and by the way our buck is close to or higher than a US buck right now, so no comments about funny money OK.
                Don't worry! If our government doesn't get spending under control, we will all be playing Monopoly with REAL $100 bills!
                -- Clint
                1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

I had terrible luck with an AGM Interstate battery too, a lot of troubles went away when I switched to a $50 NAPA wet cell replacement.
                  XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

I am only on my second year with two of my bikes with AGM batteries. Both bikes started up this spring as if I had only put them in storage last week. There was no hesitation or anything. My bikes always seem to winter well, as I charge them before storing but the AGM's seemed to have more juice in the spring.
                    I have had very good luck with the acid filled batteries as well and many have lasted for 7 yrs. I just decided to give these a try as they are supposed to handle vibration better. Thing is as I was getting 7 yrs battery life with an acid filled one how long do I need to wait to declare one is superioir to another?
                    While your battery may be better than mine I like what I have seen so far out of the AGM's.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

My understanding of it is that the AGM batteries will charge OK with most standard alternator systems. If you let it get low it most likely should be charged with a "smart" charger that has an AGM setting. Gel cells on the other hand are very fussy about how they are charged.

I have had excellent luck with AGM batteries. This spring I had to get a new battery for my ATV, talk about vibration problems!!! The only one I could find that anyone had on hand was an AGM so I bought it. This ATV is over 20 years old and has an alternator system on it similar to the XS11. I am extremely happy with this battery, never had one that worked this well. With wet cell batteries in it I had to pretty much keep a battery tender on it all the time I was not actually riding it or it would not start. Have not needed one on it since I changed. Next one in the Fire Dragon WILL be an AGM!!!

Both of my lawn tractors have had AGMs in them for several years now and have never given me any trouble. They NEVER get maintained, I just turn the key and go. Both of them have an unregulated straight three amp alternator system in them with just a single diode in the system and have had no trouble with the AGM.

Worth the extra money in my opinion.
                      The Old Tamer
                      1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Working...
                      X