I need a battery - HOLY CRAP! $100?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a battery - HOLY CRAP! $100?!

I got my XS with a fresh battery when I bought it a couple years ago, but due to my utter neglect it's on its last legs... I could use a new one already. I tried Walmart but their search utilities only go back to '83 for motorcycles, so I couldn't even tell what kind I WOULD need, let alone if they had it or not. My next stop was Auto Zone. They could order one for $100+... I balked.

It seemed kind of ridiculous - the last motorcycle battery I bought, which was for my '83 750 Virago, only cost about $40. I understand that prices go up over time, but almost tripling in price over three years is absurd. I did an online search and $100+ seemed about the going rate for XS1100 batteries although I did find one or two batteries without the acid for ~$40. Since I don't know where to get just the acid I figured that was a dry well.

So I turn to the kind and knowledgeable people here for help. Any information would be great - sources for buying online, battery ID code cross references, advice on how to recondition my current battery... I just want to not have to fill up a saddle bag with a battery charger. I also don't want to pay what I feel is over twice as much as I should for a battery.

Go back to walmart!

Hey there,

See this link, it shows the model # of the battery to look for on the shelf at Walmart!:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-...ttery/16782697

They come DRY, but with the acid container that you pour in, then you charge it up with a 2amp trickle charger overnight BEFORE you put it in use, to get the most capacity out of the battery! Should be about $50.00.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

it is rediculous how much batteries are now. I had to get one for our car and just a small crank amp was $70 bucks. A few years ago, you could get batteries at wallyworld for like$35.
      Jeff
      77 XS750 2D completely stock
      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
        Hey there,

See this link, it shows the model # of the battery to look for on the shelf at Walmart!:

They come DRY, but with the acid container that you pour in, then you charge it up with a 2amp trickle charger overnight BEFORE you put it in use, to get the most capacity out of the battery! Should be about $50.00.

T.C.
        Thanks for this - I remember looking at this specific battery at wally world... even took it out of the box because it looked like the right size. Without my current battery in hand I didn't want to risk it though, and the 19-year-old hipster working the automotive section was absolutely no help. You're awesome, TopCat!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Hey there,

T.C.
          +1 on Wally World. Charge it for at least 12 hours on a 5 amp charger.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

You guys in the states have it easy. Up here a cheap and i mean cheap acid fille battery can not be found for under 80 bucks. If you want to go AGM then you can find them on SALE for 135 bucks. No wally world cheapies for us as most do not carry motorcycle batteries. Oh and by the way our buck is close to or higher than a US buck right now, so no comments about funny money OK.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              ...Charge it for at least 12 hours on a 5 amp charger.
              Make that 2 amps.... Charging rate should be no more than 10% of the battery's ampere-hour rating.

+1 on the 12 hours; make that a minimum, 14-16 would be better. Proper activation is the key to long life...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Your right Steve, 2 amps. In my defense the 5 is right above the 5.................I MEAN 2.... on the keyboard.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Got a agm battery with 1 year warranty for just under $50 shipped off ebay recently.
                  Last edited by natemoen; 05-09-2012, 07:27 PM.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

While I was at NAPA today a fellow came in and bought a battery for a quad. The counter guy told him that there were instructions on how to properly do the initial charge on the battery and to follow that would result in better battery life. I would imagine that every company that sells a battery has similar instructions but I would personally follow the instructions that come with the battery. I know as guys we tend not to read such drivel as instructions but, hey we follow the second gear fix to the word, so why not a simple battery charge. 2 amps or 5 or 1000 amps who cares do it according to the manufacturers info. Only takes 30 seconds to read and maybe prolong your battery life for a few years.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                      ...but I would personally follow the instructions that come with the battery..
                      Excellent advice. I know when I first started riding in the 60s, it seemed like the batteries just didn't hold up. About every three or so months I was back down at the bike shop getting a new one. I finally figured out why....

The bozo at the shop would pull the battery out, fill it then charge it for about 15-20 minutes. He'd tell me 'it'll be all charged up by the time you get home kid' and when I got home, it would start the bike. But three months later (right past the 90 day warrantee), he'd get another $20 out of me (yeah, they were cheaper in those days..). Finally one day he screwed up and left the directions in the box.... And I even read them....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Replaced mine last year with an AGM from BatteriesPlus for $110 with a 2 year warranty, after I found a $10 off coupon online. AGM out of an autoparts here only had a 90day warranty.
                        Richard

Comment

Ya get what ya pay for.............new Interstate to replace my old one was $75...........but old Interstate gave the bike 7yrs. of service. Wet cell batteries gonna be the best choice for these charging systems. Not gonna get into the explanation and whys.....already been done and proved out on here few years ago.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Battery saver.

If you want to try and save your old battery make sure the water level is correct. There should be a line on the side of it with a mark like acid level or water level. You can pull the plugs on top of the battery and fill each cell with distilled water. Once each one is full i replug each one and charge it on a low amperage like Steve said 2amps or as low as your charger will go and i usualy leave it on there for at least 10 to 12 hours. If it doesnt work then i get a new one. This way all im out is my time and not my monney. But to each there own.
                            80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
                            79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
                            82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
                            81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
                            06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
                            81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
                            81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              Ya get what ya pay for.............new Interstate to replace my old one was $75...........but old Interstate gave the bike 7yrs. of service. Wet cell batteries gonna be the best choice for these charging systems. Not gonna get into the explanation and whys.....already been done and proved out on here few years ago.
                              Not always..... The Interstate I bought last year (had to special-order it) showed up as a Yuasa with an Interstate label on it. I was less than happy. It seems they're only actually building AGM batteries now and are just 'rebranding' the lower cost ones. Could have saved $15 if I had known.

I do agree that AGM batteries are a waste of money.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                              X