79' Fuse box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79' Fuse box

Hi Guys - It's been awhile since I've been here and miss all the forum talk. You all are great!

And now that I've sucked up a bit here's my question....haha

My headlight was going on and then off and then on and then off for good. Put a new fuse in and it would work for a day or two and then nothing. After a quick look at the routing of the wires I found the connection under the seat had been worn and it was grounding out, hence the popping of the fuse. It looks like the fuse block is damaged now where the headlight fuse goes. If I put even the slightest pressure on the headlight fuse it emits a small amount of spark. I'm not a rocket scientist but, this doesn't seem good to me. I removed the fuse block and it looks like it got really hot. You can see burnt material (I'm guessing it's nylon or bakeolite or something). So my question is:

Does this look like a worthwhile replacement or is it beyond what you should pay for a new fuse block?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230681739770...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Thanks for any comments!!!!
    1979 XS1100 Special
    Jardine spaghetti pipes
    Chrome billet mirrors
    Custom seat (not sure who did it)
    Custom highway pegs (not sure on the maker)
    Braided lines
    Removable windscreen
    Iso grips

Just get hold of TC and get one of his fuse blocks. Best 10 bucks you will ever spend on electrical on the old girls.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Twanginblues View Post
      Does this look like a worthwhile replacement or is it beyond what you should pay for a new fuse block?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230681739770...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Thanks for any comments!!!!
      $47.99 !???!!! What a rip! Buy one from TC, less money, better product.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Who is TC? My fuse blew and when i replaced it, the clip broke. I was 80 miles from home at night, so some aluminum foil held it in place. My vacation is a week away and its worrying me a great deal.

Comment

TC = TopCatGR58, the forum administrator. He buys a great replacement fuse box in lots (has to buy 10 at a time or something like that). Then sells them individually to the forum members. They are the new blade type fuses, and he includes the clips to put on your wires to connect to the terminals of the fuse box.

Great deal! Easy to install.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

TC is topcatgr58 and he's one of the forum admin guys.
            He's got a 6 fuse fuseblock and comes with all the crimp connectors.
            Here's what it looks like installed. (Mini fuses not included )

Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
            The Green Monster
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
            Got him in '04.
            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
            Scarlet
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
            Got her in '11
            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
            Hugo
            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
            Cold weather ride

Comment

Thanks guys!

I sent a PM to TopCat. Can't wait to get a new one so I can ride again! I think I just leaked a bit in my pants with exitement!
              1979 XS1100 Special
              Jardine spaghetti pipes
              Chrome billet mirrors
              Custom seat (not sure who did it)
              Custom highway pegs (not sure on the maker)
              Braided lines
              Removable windscreen
              Iso grips

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                TC is topcatgr58 and he's one of the forum admin guys.
                He's got a 6 fuse fuseblock and comes with all the crimp connectors.
                Here's what it looks like installed. (Mini fuses not included )

George,

That is a particularly nice installation. What did you use to bus the connections on the bottom? Also, I'm not happy with my crimp tool. What did you use?
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Just another vouch for TC's fusebox. Definitely don't pay $47 -- I installed mine in about half an hour and it cleared up some of the weird electrical problems I was having, and TC's costs less than $20 shipped, I think.
                  XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

George,

That is a particularly nice installation. What did you use to bus the connections on the bottom? Also, I'm not happy with my crimp tool. What did you use?
                    Marty, the bottom isn't 'bussed' it's just a poor camera angle.
                    The bottom connectors look just like the top ones.

As far as the crimping goes, TC suggested that I use vicegrips and put the crimp point in the little wire curring jaws, but dont go all the way thru and actually cut. (make sense?) Also, the gauge of most of the wires is too thin for the lugs, so I doubled over the wire to give the lug something to 'grab' once I 'squished' it with the vicegrips. Those lug 'sleeves' are pretty tough and my klien crimping tool wasn't enough to get thru that to actually squish the metal of the lug.

Mounting was another cool thing. The mounting holes on the block are just a little off from the stock holes on the back plate, so using my dremel, I made the holes a little oval like (slotted) and then the holes lines up and I used the existing screws form the old fuse panel. (Oh I had to notch the corners a little to so I'd clear the base plate mounting screw.)

I saw someone on here had a label made to show which fuse was which. I thought that was a great Idea! I haven't had a chance to do that yet, but it's on my to do list!

Note, I also moved my main fuse (from the left side) so that way all my fuses were blade type and I wouldn't have to carry ANY glass fuses. (I put that one on the far right to give it a bit more room to 'breath') SO, the #5 slot is still open for any future add ons.
                    Last edited by GLoweVA; 05-09-2012, 09:23 AM.

The Green Monster
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                    Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                    Got her in '11
                    Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                    Cold weather ride

Comment

The pink connectors are correct for the smaller gauge wire. The blue ones are correct for the larger ones. I get a little fussy about this stuff.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

One suggestion - I found some cool fuses at Autozone that light up when they fail. They are a little more expensive than the regular ones, but if something does happen while riding down the road in the dark, it makes troubleshooting a LOT easier!
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

The pink connectors are correct for the smaller gauge wire. The blue ones are correct for the larger ones. I get a little fussy about this stuff.
                          Maybe TC should put some of those pink ones in his package instead of all blue like he gave me.

One suggestion - I found some cool fuses at Autozone that light up when they fail. They are a little more expensive than the regular ones, but if something does happen while riding down the road in the dark, it makes troubleshooting a LOT easier!
                          Bug, were they minis? If so, they would be great. I've got a whole box of mini fuses for spares, but it'd be nice to have the set that's installed with the tell tale lights to know which one is blown, then I can swap it out with one of my spares then later go get another 'light' one.

The Green Monster
                          Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                          Got her in '11
                          Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                          Cold weather ride

Comment

agreed on TC's fuse box just did mine and works fine ... here's a pic of the fuse layout label, size should be .875 x 2.25 to fit inside cover, hard to get a readable font that small, just right click and save pic as ...
                            Last edited by jayel; 05-09-2012, 04:01 PM.
                            where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
                            Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                              Bug, were they minis? If so, they would be great. I've got a whole box of mini fuses for spares, but it'd be nice to have the set that's installed with the tell tale lights to know which one is blown, then I can swap it out with one of my spares then later go get another 'light' one.
                              The fuses are regular spade style, just like the ones in the pictures above. Not sure what a "mini" is.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold
                              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                              -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X