Now That It's Running Good It needs to Stop Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now That It's Running Good It needs to Stop Good

After all the help the bike is running great but stopping is an issue. The brakes are fairly good now but the front left brake has been unhooked from the rear master cylinder. It has no proportioning valve on the master cylinder now.The master is off an '80 model, it has two line hook ups in the back of it but someone has bolted one off. What can I do to get the left front brake back going again this bike is heavy enough that I would like to feel comfortable with the braking.

Thanks everyone for the help, Mitch
    Last edited by va_blue_stang; 05-05-2012, 03:44 PM.
    82 XJ1100
    Very Little that is factory left.
    Large mix of XJ/XS parts

You'll need the brake line setup off of an XS. Both front calipers working off the handlbar MC and the rear being independant. The XJ has a system that the rear and the left front are linked and work off the foot pedal. A lot of people didn't like that and blocked off the left front. It works OK that way but I'm like you. I want all I can get.
    Last edited by BA80; 05-05-2012, 03:55 PM.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

You really should replace the front master with one from a XS special too. The existing one is designed to only operate one caliper, the bore is a bit small for two IMHO...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I did that about a month ago.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35943
        1970? Honda Z50... gone
        1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
        1974 Honda CB200... gone
        1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
        1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
        2008 Honda VTX 1800F
        1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
        1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

And you still have no LF brake? Is the caliper frozen?
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I went for good long right yesterday on some great curvy back roads, and running with only the right front brake hooked up and working and the rear only was a hairy experience with two up riding. If I would of had to stop quick for any reason it would have been all over but the slow walking and sad singing.

Now better braking is going to be a must. I'm going to check out the front left caliper and see what it looks like in a day or two when I have time to take it off.
            82 XJ1100
            Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

I went to check the fluid in the front master cylinder when I realized that some jackhole before I got the bike had rounded out both screws completely. What's the safest and best way to remove them without destroying the master cylinder?
              82 XJ1100
              Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

Probably using a dremel cut off wheel to notch those screws so you can use a flathead screwdriver.
                I'd suggest getting the cutoff wheel to a fairly small diameter so as you cut into the screw head, you don't cut into the cap.
                Maybe pick up some replacement screws so you don't have to put those notched out ones back in.
                You could also try some PB Blaster to make sure those screws will come out easier.
                Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                The Green Monster
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                Got him in '04.
                bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                Scarlet
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                Got her in '11
                Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                Hugo
                Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                  Probably using a dremel cut off wheel to notch those screws so you can use a flathead screwdriver.
                  I'd suggest getting the cutoff wheel to a fairly small diameter so as you cut into the screw head, you don't cut into the cap.
                  Maybe pick up some replacement screws so you don't have to put those notched out ones back in.
                  You could also try some PB Blaster to make sure those screws will come out easier.
                  The dremel idea was the same thing I thought of this morning. I figured it was worth a shot when I get time to work on it.
                  82 XJ1100
                  Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

Working...
                  X