No announcement yet.

Blown Transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was changing the oil at the time I found the plug. I assumed, yes i know what happens when you asume, that when I pulled the plug and nothing come out, that I had drained all the engine oil. It's kind of a stupid spot for the middle drive drain plug. This is my first bike and expierience has been one hell of a teacher but that's the best way to learn. I'm heading out to go pick up the bike now so i'll take my tool kit with me and pull those 4 bolts, hopefully it will roll through the parking lot and up into the trailer that way lol. I'll update as soon as possible.

P.S. Trbig, my guardian angel is a work-a-holic, i just can't seem to get rid of him lol. I am damn lucky and feel very blessed that it just gave me a "warning" on the insterstate.
    1981 XS1100 Special

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment

Comment

Originally posted by JoshKeast View Post
      P.S. Trbig, my guardian angel is a work-a-holic, i just can't seem to get rid of him lol. I am damn lucky and feel very blessed that it just gave me a "warning" on the insterstate.
      trbig has one too, I've seen that angel at work.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Confused now???

Ok so I just picked up the bike. I had my brother come along to help me out. I was getting ready to pull the boot when my brother asked what it was doing so I backed it up to show him, AND IT ROLLED!!! It then rolled right up into the trailer. (It's been sitting since friday)

I have it back at my dads house now, I'm not gonna just trust it and ride off but how do I diagnose what's wrong now that it's rolling? Is there a way i can tell just by looking at the middle drive when it's off the bike?
        1981 XS1100 Special

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment

Comment

I wouldn't ride it until I figured out what caused this. Something ain't right.

Like Tod said, a lockup at 70 ain't a good experience.

Put it on the center stand and run it. See if you can recreate the problem there.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post

Put it on the center stand and run it. See if you can recreate the problem there.
            Check and service both gearboxes, first!
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              check and service both gearboxes, first!
              check!!!!!
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Well that was my question. How do I check the gearbox??? I realize I would need to pull it off but what would I be looking for? Metal shavings? Bent stuff? Spinning freely? I just don't know... Same for final drive. I haven't the slightest clue what I would be looking at there.

I thought about just putting gear oil in it and then riding around town for a while (I don't have a centerstand on the bike, PO put 4-1 exhaust on). A lockup at 25 wouldn't be near as bad as 65.

Or should I just remove the drives, and take them into a shop and have an experienced mechanic look them over?
                1981 XS1100 Special

Comment

Since the middle drive had NO oil in it I'm going to go out on a limb and say that is your problem. In this THREAD it tells which bolts to remove the middle drive, along with the 4 on the driveshaft of course.

Once you get it off you can look right inside it and see the gears and check for damage. If it is a bearing you should be able to feel it when turned by hand.

Have you checked the oil in the final drive?
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Step one, get a manual if you do not already have one. Step two read said manual on how to service (drain the oil, check the drained oil, and replace the oil with mew fresh oil) the final drive, middle drive, and the engine oil and filter.

Step three, have your brother or someone else help you and use a jack to lift the bike and put some jackstands under it about where the center stand should be. (hoping you can get a jackstand past the exhaust). With the tranny in neutral try rotating the rear wheel both directions. Still free? Now, start the bike and run it through the gears. See what happens. I would do all of this before getting back on the beast.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

You can rest assure I'll be checkin fluid levels in the final drive as well. I've been through the brakes, changed oil and filter, new battery, tires are good, gas tank and carbs are good, I'll check, repair, replace whatever i need to with the drive train and this bike should be good...
                      1981 XS1100 Special

Comment

Do you have a dipstick for the gearboxes? There's a pattern to make one on here someplace, or it's PN 2H7-2815A-00-00 GAUGE,OIL LEVEL
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Once your middle drive is out you will be able to see these 3 things quite easily. If they look bad you may have to take it apart, but a new middle drive would be the easy answer.

If you put 1 finger on the U joint connector and turn it it will be very free and smooth. There is some backlash built into the gear so do not be concerned that it has some free play before moving the other gears.
                          2-79 XS1100 SF
                          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

josh.my name is mike aka graybird78.. i live in council bluffs. your not far from me. if you need manual or even tool to check middle drive and final drive i have both.my bike is 80sg.and i also have an extra final drive if needed.call or text me if you need help.712-242-7431.
                            when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                            80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Originally posted by JoshKeast View Post

When changing the oil, I pulled this drain plug thinking it was for the engine oil, I got nothing but a little bit of sludge out, I was stumped but overlooked it. Now that I've just found out that was for the middle drive, and nothing came out meaning it was bone dry, and with my current situation...

Does all of this put together indicate that the middle drive is most likely my problem?
                              Interesting how the diagnosis gets pin-pointed once the "rest of the story" gets told........hmmm, the amount of times I've seen that here........just sayin'......
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                                Interesting how the diagnosis gets pin-pointed once the "rest of the story" gets told........hmmm, the amount of times I've seen that here........just sayin'......
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X