Blown Transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown Transmission?

I was going down the interstate and I heard the bike "stutter" and the back tire sorta locked up for a second. I pulled over and gave it a once over and then took off again thinking I just hit something. Rode another 15 miles to my destination.

Now, I can put the bike in neutral, start it, but it will not push more than 3-5 feet before something catches and the back tire starts dragging. I'm pretty confident it's not the rear caliper/brakes. I tried to start in first and the back tire locked up and the bike ended up on its side. I decided to just park it there and pick it up later. Second gear was out of it and I've been riding it, just skipping past second so I'm afraid something broke loose and wedged in the tranny or something....

Ideas?
    1981 XS1100 Special

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment

Did it make any noises as it happened?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Maybe a small "clunk". Nothing major that made me concerned at the time. but now that the back tire is locking up, I think back to the "stutter" on the interstate 15 mins before and I'm thinking they have to be related.
      1981 XS1100 Special

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment

Comment

I doubt if it's the transmission, it's possible though. More likely it's the middle or final drive.

You have no choice but to fix it now. Get the wrenches out.

Drain the middle and final drives and see if there is any metal shavings..........or chunks.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Drive shaft U-joint could be locked up.
          Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
          Current rides:
          80 XS1100SG
          82 JX1100
          83 Venture Royale
          86 V-Max

Comment

Like BA80 says it sounds like it is in the middle or rear drive. Check fluids and see if the rear moves with the clutch pulled in. If it is a middle or final drive you will not be able to turn it while the trans is in neutral or the clutch is disengaged, or at the least you will hear it. Any, even short lock up of the rear tire is very dangerous so proceed with caution.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Could be any part of the drive train, but the most likely is the middle drive in my opinion. Only because of its wierd drain location it gets overlooked frequently.

If it were me, I'd start at the FD and see where the shafts loosen up. Meaning pull the FD off, then see if the driveshaft or u-joint turn easily now. Still locked up, pull the U-joint. Same test, now pull the middle drive. At that point the middle drive will input and output shafts will let you figure if its the MD or not.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Ya sounds like a mid or final to me too... its very uncommon for a constant mess tranny to grenade and lock up while just moving forward. Now if your were clutch dropping or speed shifting I can see it, but not just mashing down the hwy. my .02
                Don
                1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I have TWO engines that have bad transmissions. Both have at least one gear on the MAIN SHAFT missing a tooth, or three. The PO said the bike just locked up on him, and the second time he parked it.
                  It IS possible it's the transmission, but as others have stated, start at the back. My choice would be the 4 bolts at the middle drive U-joint, as that will split the problem, and it's then just one of two from there.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The reason I didn't do the "Dremel Fix" on my trasmission was that my XS650 broke a dog off. If someting like that tried to pass through the trasmission, I expect it would be felt at the rear wheel.

I agree with the others. Start at the final drive and work forward. Be prepared to have to drop the pan if you don't find another failed gearbox.

You may come out of this with an education and a functioning five speed transmission.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Well it sounds like majority rules, Ive given the best description I can and most if not all of you (who are way smarter than me) have stated it's most likely in the drive shaft. I will be going to get the bike sometime this weekend so,.... any idea on the approximate cost to fix a driveshaft problem????

I know it's gonna be cheaper to fix the problem, so getting a different bike is out of the question, I just am feeling discouraged that I've spent so much time and money fixing this thing and just when I think I'm out of the woods, I fall right back into needing to fix another problem that prevents me from riding.
                      1981 XS1100 Special

Comment

Also, could be an unrelated or even non-important problem but when the bike is idleing, i hear what I can only describe as a lifter tic only louder. It's very rythmyic and sounds like it's coming from the top end of the engine. My dad said he didn't think motorcyles had lifters and I haven't the slightest clue. It was running pretty good so at the time I didn't think too much of it. Maybe this motorcycle is too much of a project for a novice to take on...
                        1981 XS1100 Special

Comment

If it's the middle gearbox, it will be easy enough to replace and not particularly expensive. It is a pretty steep learning curve for a novice but not impossible, by any means. Especially given the resource you have here with the forum.

I would remove the middle gearbox first and see what's what...
                          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshKeast View Post
                            Also, could be an unrelated or even non-important problem but when the bike is idleing, i hear what I can only describe as a lifter tic only louder. It's very rythmyic and sounds like it's coming from the top end of the engine. My dad said he didn't think motorcyles had lifters and I haven't the slightest clue. It was running pretty good so at the time I didn't think too much of it. Maybe this motorcycle is too much of a project for a novice to take on...
                            mine had a ticking sound the other day and most of my header bolts were loose. Tightened them up and the sound was gone and it sounded like a lifter.
                            Jeff
                            77 XS750 2D completely stock
                            79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by JoshKeast View Post
                              The valve train is noisey when properly adjusted.

There are no lifters. You have overhead cams that work the valves through a bucket & shim arrangement.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X