Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octy

rebuilding my octy...
    1) how does the plastic piece and the rubber gasket thing go in?
    2) in the rebuild kit, it seems the gasket for the petcock where the petcock connects to the tank is a little small...
    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

IIRC, the rubber membrane is two sheets. The white plastic piece goes in between them. There are dimples in the metal, holes in the membrane, and nubs on the plastic piece to line everything up. They did their best to make it Murphy proof.

The key is to get the surface where that little o'ring sits very clean. I used a small piece of fine Scotch Brite, and followed up with a pencil eraser. (I learned that trick from someone else on this forum.) Get the parts in proper order and very clean, you should have success.

If you have the K&L kit the round o'ring will fit on the petcock. Hold it in place with Vaseline.
    Last edited by jetmechmarty; 05-03-2012, 09:54 PM.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

is that how it goes? i didnt take a pic before taking it apart ( i know, i know, stupid me.... ) back plate, rubber gasket, plastic plate, then front plate ( the piece for the gas lines ) ?
      also theres a vent hole or whatever in the plastic plate, which way does that face? down?

79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
      Moto Militia MC

Comment

Wolf,

It appears to me that you have assembled that valve incorrectly. I found a very good step-by-step on another forum, complete with photographs. The instructions are for a vacuum petcock, but if you look carefully, you can glean every bit of information you need to restore your shutoff valve.

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=219609.html

Last edited by jetmechmarty; 05-05-2012, 10:25 PM.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

i dont see how its possible to get the plastic piece in between the 2 rubber pieces on the gasket, as the gasket is one piece, and i cant separate it. when i took the octy apart the plastic piece was not in between the 2 pieces of rubber

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
          Moto Militia MC

Comment

Originally posted by airborneXS View Post
            i dont see how its possible to get the plastic piece in between the 2 rubber pieces on the gasket, as the gasket is one piece, and i cant separate it. when i took the octy apart the plastic piece was not in between the 2 pieces of rubber
            IIRC, the plastic piece does not go between the 2 pieces of rubber. Both layers of rubber lay on the same side of the plastic piece. Although I may be mistaken...
            Last edited by CatatonicBug; 05-11-2012, 02:11 PM.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

nevermind now i really feel retarded...as i was looking at it again and playing with it, it hit me...the answer was so unbelievably easy....my bad...

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
              Moto Militia MC

Comment

so does the plastic piece go in between the two pieces of rubber or not? ive gotten 2 different answers...crap!

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                Moto Militia MC

Comment

Originally posted by airborneXS View Post
                  so does the plastic piece go in between the two pieces of rubber or not? ive gotten 2 different answers...crap!
                  Sorry, now that I re-look at the pictures, I remember how it works. The metal side has one piece of rubber, and the other side should kinda roll up and push through the hole to the other side. And the vent notch should be on the opposite side from the metal circle.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Just like the picture Marty shows, the plastic piece is sandwhiched between the two rubber "gaskets" of the diaphram piece. The rubber serves a dual purpose, to flex as the valve moves, and to seal.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                      X