Blinking Warning light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blinking Warning light

Hey guys. My bike is giving me the blinking warning light. I contacted the PO and he said that it was the kickstand sensor. Is there a way to disable it?
    82 XJ1100

Must be a XJ. Not sure maybe jumper the wires at the switch. Which warning light?
    Keep the shiny side up
    1979 XS1100SF
    Mac 4-1
    Drilled airbox Uni filter
    Vmax bars
    Virago 1" shorter shocks
    30K miles
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...429_135845.jpg
    1981XS1100SH
    '80 G Forks and Triple Tree
    '80 G tank
    Mac Turnouts
    Virago 1" shorter rear shocks
    SH Headlight
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6adaae1.jpg
    61 Wife
    83 Son
    86 Son
    89 Daughter

Comment

The big red one at the top of the cluster. Blinks constantly but I've taken it for a few rides and after a bit it goes solid then sometimes goes out.
      82 XJ1100

Comment

Originally posted by Troney View Post
        The big red one at the top of the cluster. Blinks constantly but I've taken it for a few rides and after a bit it goes solid then sometimes goes out.
        I have the same bike with the same problem. The warning light indicates many things. When the light is flashing what words can you read on the display? If its the kkick stand it will say stnd. Battery will be batt. Fuel is fuel. Mine flashes because it does not have the right batttery in it. These have a water level sensor built into the battery. Below the display on the dash there are two buttons left one clears the warning. The right one runs the system thru all it function checks. When you start the bike and the light starts flashing press the left one and the light will stop flashing and stay on press it again and it will go off. Oh it also has a brake warning on the dash its brk. I hope this helps.
        1982 xj 1100
        "The Ape"
        http://youtu.be/AiQ8CqclHr4

Comment

Well the tank isn't hpoked up and I think it has a diff battery in it so I'll have to see if it says which one after a clear. Thanks for the info I'll check today.
          82 XJ1100

Comment

It is showing Fuel, Brake, and Stand. The tank Should go when I rewire it up. Is there a way to by pass the stand sensor? Why would the brake be on?
            82 XJ1100

Comment

the brake light would come on if it does not sence the correct load (not sure if it also comes on for low brake fluid level or if that is a different sensor). It you have a burnt out light or have LED's installed it will blink. The side stand is able to be bypassed i do not remember if you have to put a jumper on that plug or just disconnect it.
              Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
              80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
              82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
              82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
              82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
              72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
              72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Originally posted by Troney
                Is there a way to by pass the stand sensor?
                Yes, there is. First, an explanation. In the XJ, a side stand sensor was added so you could not drive off with the side stand down. If you put the bike in gear with the side stand down and let out the clutch the engine will quit. (There is a switch in the clutch lever assembly. Note the wires comming out of it.)

To bypass the sensor, which makes the circut think the stand is always in the UP position, you need to:

Remove the seat.
                Follow the wire assembly up from the sensor to a connector just behind the fuel tank. Tank does not have to be removed.
                Disconnect side stand switch wiring at the connection just behind the fuel tank.
                On the bike side connector, all 3 wires have to be connected to each other. I made up a 3-way connector using 1/4 in spade terminals. Can't remember if they are male or female, seem to remember I used female connectors and speaker wire to connect the 3 wires together.
                Replace seat.

Keep in mind this disables a safety feature. If you choose to do this mod and injure / kill yourself I am not to be held responsible.

Another approach is to fix the side stand switch. You can remove it, cut around the outside (not through) and remove the top end with its wires. Clean out the switch - it gets pretty dirty - and reassemble using a good epoxy to put the parts back to gether. Reinstall on the bike and give it a try. The switch has been discontinued from Yamaha, by the way.

Hope this helps.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by XJfan1
                  Mine flashes because it does not have the right batttery in it. These have a water level sensor built into the battery.
                  There is a work-around for this.
                  http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...liminator.html
                  The write-up mentions a 2K ohm resistor; value is not critical and a 2.2k ohm works just as well.

Mod eliminates the flashing warning light and makes the system think the battery sensor is in place and within limits. This works on many Yamaha models of the early '80s and is not exclusive to the XJ.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Troney
                    It is showing Fuel, Brake, and Stand.
                    Both XJ master brake cylinders have a float in them. If Brake is showing on your LCD display it normally means one or the other is low on brake fluid. The readout does not tell you which one is low so you probably need to check both.

Again, to eliminate some warning signals, jumping the wires together from those sensors will generally do the trick. I would recommend fixing the underlying problem, though, and jump wires only as a last resort. The XJ's LCD system is generally pretty reliable and only reports problems comming in for the various sensors. Fix the problem, don't kill the messanger...
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Next nice day i'll have to check all of the above.
                      82 XJ1100

Comment

Working...
                      X