Boot gave me the boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot gave me the boot

Just drove to Boston & when I stopped to check for any loose components (replaced the exhaust) I discovered the large boot held at each end by springs (Looks like a CV joint boot) between the middle gear unit and drive shaft is torn at the small end. Yama part # 2H7-22189-00-00

Since this boot is not spinning, is there a replacement available like on CJ joints where you can replace it and then seal the rubber? Or if not, what's the easiest way to replace it? I suppose I could use a piece of inner-tube and use adhesive to keep it on there. I don't want water or debris getting in there. I'll try and wrap it with tape for the moment.

Idears?
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...189-00-00.html
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Best way to replace that boot is to remove the swingarm. Good time to grease the swingarm bearings.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

How much / long of a job for a first timer to remove the swingarm? If there's no available boot that can be applied while everything is in place, that's what i have to look at doing.

Thanks for the replies!
        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
          How much / long of a job for a first timer to remove the swingarm? If there's no available boot that can be applied while everything is in place, that's what i have to look at doing.

Thanks for the replies!
          Shouldn't take you more than all day. I'd say about 4 hrs.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            Shouldn't take you more than all day. I'd say about 4 hrs.
            Ugh... Delightful...

Comment

If you unbolt the driveline from the middle drive and remove the final drive the u-joint yoke will separate enough to carefully wiggle the new boot in there.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Sounds like a good time to pull the rear wheel and check/grease wheel and swing arm bearings. I've done it, not fun but glad to know its been checked.
                1970? Honda Z50... gone
                1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
                1974 Honda CB200... gone
                1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
                1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
                2008 Honda VTX 1800F
                1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
                1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Here is a tip that may help install the springs that hold the boot in place.

When I did my boot, I was having trouble getting the springs back in place. I put the springs roughly in place, then took a piece of light solid wire and ran it through the little eye and hook at the ends of the spring. I crossed the ends of the wire (made an X) and pulled gently. This drew the ends of the spring together and I was able to hook the 2 ends quite easily.

Might save some frustration and make the process go faster.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                    Here is a tip that may help install the springs that hold the boot in place.

When I did my boot, I was having trouble getting the springs back in place. I put the springs roughly in place, then took a piece of light solid wire and ran it through the little eye and hook at the ends of the spring. I crossed the ends of the wire (made an X) and pulled gently. This drew the ends of the spring together and I was able to hook the 2 ends quite easily.

Might save some frustration and make the process go faster.
                    Why not hook the 2 ends before you even start the installation? There is no reason to unhook them in the first place. I just replaced the boot on mine last week, and left the springs on the boot for the entire installation. I used a screwdriver to do the finishing allignment to get the boot to seat around the swingarm, but it wasn't all that difficult.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                    X