Coil Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Question

So today I went to ride around for some errands. Started to run like CRAP. Went up to my dad's house. I took out the coils and tested them. Outta spec and one was totally shorted out.

So my question is... the two coils had different spark plug boots on them. The ones on 2 and 3 were just regular boots. #1 and 4 had 5 ohm resister caps. (One was measured at 50k ohm). Is this normal? Are they not supposed to be the same? What are they supposed to be?

Obviously I need new coils. Any hints on where to get new ones? Is there another newer bike that might take coils that will work? If I could find coils that came from a 10-15-20 year newer bike, thats more use out of them for me.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
    1984 Honda VF700F Interceptor
    1967 Yamaha YL2C

The HT caps should all be the same spec...often the middle two are longer.

I'd use green Dyna coils.

What model is it?
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
      The HT caps should all be the same spec...often the middle two are longer.

What model is it?
      My bike is a 1980 SG

I wish that I could afford Dyna Coils. But I just spent all my money on a new house

I looked online the cheapest ones I found were $120. Those were for the DC2-1 (Found that number from another thread).
      1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
      1967 Yamaha YL2C

Comment

It's time to contact Andreas.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post

I just looked up the green Dyna coils. It says that those are 3 ohm coils. The stock ones are 1.5. How much will this matter?
          1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
          1967 Yamaha YL2C

Comment

The XS used a 3 ohm system. The coils are 1.5 and the ballast resistor is also 1.5. If you use 3 ohm coils you just remove the ballast resistor, it is just another link in the chain to fail anyways.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
            X