Undoing a Dyna Jet mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undoing a Dyna Jet mod

There's nothing wrong with the dyna jet mod I did to the carbs on the XJ11, I've just decided to try to make the bike as stock as possible so yesterday I removed the Jardine Spaghetti & put on some original XJ11 pipes I was able to barter for. Today I finished making a UNI filter for the airbox and removed the K&N one I'd made & installed.

So all that's left now is to put the original jets back in & remove the Dyna-Jet jets. I kept the originals but I'm wondering about the needles, the originals I still have but I'm not sure which slide they were in. They all look the same so they're probably interchangeable from one slide to another?

Is there any reasonable reason to keep the Dyna Adjustable slides? If I remove them I can sell the entire Dyna-Jet kit but if there's a reason to keep them, I can do that. I just don't know if at this point it matters? It would be easier not to exchange the needles but that's a small task.

Idears?
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Did you drill the slides? If so, you can't go back...
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hi Nathan,

I did drill the holes in the slides but there is an incredibly little difference in diameter, it's almost the exact same diameter afterward. From everything I have read, the increase in hole size only reflects in how quickly the slides open. Don't see how the original needle being replaced would relate to the hole being enlarged that little bit. O'course there's much I don't understand...

If it truly matters, I could fill in the end of the hole in the slide with gas tank epoxy and re-drill it to the original diameter. That wouldn't be difficult and would restore original dimensions. I might even have a spare set of slides, I'll have to look.
      82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Drilling the slides is the one permanent part of that mod. However, some people have just drilled the slides to achieve faster throttle response, without installing the dyna parts. I'd say that if you really want to remove the dyna pieces, you should be able to do that, but the throttle response may be different from that of a bone-stock machine. Possibly better, but I won't guarantee that.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
        X