No announcement yet.

Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious... do the XS/XJ 750 and 850's use this exact same bearing?

PM sent...
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
      Just curious... do the XS/XJ 750 and 850's use this exact same bearing?

PM sent...
      Same wheel, same bearing Wade. The rotors are different though.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Thanks Greg, just wondering... Maybe the guys on the triple forum would be interested in them if you have a hard time getting rid of them James... or if you ever needed another group interested to place a new order..?
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
          Here they are, Folks. The world's last remaining stockpile. All stored in the Unobtanium-Cave......and looking for new homes.

MAN!!! that 2nd pic shows you REALLY know how to keep your bearings straight
          Current Rides:
          02 GL1800 Wing
          79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
          81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

I see you have some listed on fleabay James. You should list them as fitting the 750 and 850 also. You may have found a second income.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I see you have some listed on fleabay James. You should list them as fitting the 750 and 850 also. You may have found a second income.
              They don't fit the 750 but they do fit the 850. There are so few of the 850's about though. I did put that in the last time I listed them actually. Re second income....I wish..... with the import duties, shipping, one loss in the mail, and the cost of the bearings themselves in such small quantities, I only break even but.... it's fun! I've sent them all over the world and 'met' loads of people. Offers of free holidays from a grateful buyer in the Australian outback, Christmas cards, photos and stories. Great fun! I'm hoping to find a wife too ....or is that a bad idea?

I've also been sourcing and sending components to change the US riding posture to the European, ergonomic style. (ask Steelraider about this)......
              Last edited by James England; 04-27-2012, 01:47 AM.
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Although the XS750 and XJ750 wheels look similar to the XS850/1100, they are different re bearings. They use two different-sized ball bearings only in the rear wheel. They do not use caged needle roller bearings at all.
                http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs750se-...1.html#results

The XS850 uses the same bearing as the XS1100 though.
                http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs850sg-...8.html#results

You'll see on this fiche that the bearing is 'wishlist' (ie unobtanium) and listed at E62..... approx $81! (last price when non-unobtanium)
                Last edited by James England; 04-27-2012, 02:12 AM.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

James
                  I ordered 1 more, you should have $$$ or lbs by now.
                  Thanks
                  John
                  1970? Honda Z50... gone
                  1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
                  1974 Honda CB200... gone
                  1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
                  1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
                  2008 Honda VTX 1800F
                  1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
                  1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
                    James
                    I ordered 1 more, you should have $$$ or lbs by now.
                    Thanks
                    John
                    Got it thanks John. The bearing is already in the mail to you and should be there within 10 days....... Please let me know when it gets there.

Comment

Great fun! I'm hoping to find a wife too ....or is that a bad idea?
                      Only if she rides an XS too!!

Now that I own 2 of these wonderful machines, I should probably get at least one of these for a spare for that one day that might never come.

Thanks for all your effort James.
                      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                      The Green Monster
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                      Got him in '04.
                      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                      Scarlet
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                      Got her in '11
                      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                      Hugo
                      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                      Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                        Only if she rides an XS too!!

Now that I own 2 of these wonderful machines, I should probably get at least one of these for a spare for that one day that might never come.

Thanks for all your effort James.
                        Good point re the wife!

If you have two XS1100's, I would seriously advise you to buy at least one spare, if not one per bike. The failure or serious wear of this bearing definitely results in the bike being off the road until you find another wheel with a good bearing or a new bearing.

Just PM me if you want my Paypal payment details....

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                          Although the XS750 and XJ750 wheels look similar to the XS850/1100, they are different re bearings. They use two different-sized ball bearings only in the rear wheel. They do not use caged needle roller bearings at all.
                          http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs750se-...1.html#results

The XS850 uses the same bearing as the XS1100 though.
                          http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs850sg-...8.html#results

You'll see on this fiche that the bearing is 'wishlist' (ie unobtanium) and listed at E62..... approx $81! (last price when non-unobtanium)
                          Very good information to have if I ever decide to do a final drive swap! Sounds like the 850 FD is the better choice based on this information.
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                            Very good information to have if I ever decide to do a final drive swap! Sounds like the 850 FD is the better choice based on this information.
                            Actually, it doesn't make any difference. The FD swap doesn't affect the wheel bearings. The bearings are in the wheel itself, you see, and not the FD. I put a 750FD on my XS1100 no problem. When you take the wheel off the bike, both bearings... the LHS caged roller and the RHS ball-bearing... are in the wheel.

Comment

you should have posted this three days ago when I was changing my rear tire lol now I have to pull saddlebags and wheel again to check my bearing, sigh no rest for the weary or the wicked
                              where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
                              Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Originally posted by jayel View Post
                                you should have posted this three days ago when I was changing my rear tire lol now I have to pull saddlebags and wheel again to check my bearing, sigh no rest for the weary or the wicked
                                See? I did say these bearings are often neglected. I'd wipe any grease from inside the bearing and see how it feels when turned. If it's crunchy, or loose, or has difficult spots when turned, I would replace it. You might be absolutely fine though but it's worth checking.

This is quite an old thread... you're obviously not checking in often enough. Serves you right

Comment

Working...
                                X